How to remove SPTools (Virus Removal Guide)
SPTools is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that utilizes unethical marketing tactics and bundles with malware, adware, and computer viruses.
Table of Contents
SPTools by US Media Capital (SearchProTools, SearchPro Tools, Search Pro Tools, Search ProTools) is recognized as a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that is compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10. SPTools claims to be a useful tool that “makes your search truly convenient and fast.” When installed, SPTools will display launch a new window that says “make your search truly convenient and fast” and “just press ctrl+alt+f.” When you press ctrl+alt+f a small window will pop-up from the Windows taskbar with options to search the web using Google, Yahoo, Bing. DuckDuckGo, and Ask.com.
Although SPTools may sound like an adequate tool to search the web from Windows Desktop the primary function is to track what you search for online by intercepting your search results. I would advise against it.
An issue with SPTools is how it is promoted and distributed. The program is known to utilize malicious advertising networks that display aggressive and deceptive advertisements around the web and bundle the program with malware, adware, spyware, and other threats.
There are numerous ways that SPTools can get onto a computer. The potentially unwanted program can be downloaded from the developer or distributors website, it can bundle with and be installed by free programs (freeware), and the installation may be promoted by advertisements served by malicious and/or aggressive advertising networks. Some free programs do not properly reveal that SPTools may be installed along with it and some installation procedures may offer you custom or advanced installation options. It is recommended to view advanced and custom installation options carefully to stop any unwanted programs from being installed. Also, make sure to pay attention to license agreements and installation procedures when installing anything off the internet.
SPTools utilizes malicious advertising networks and may bundle with free programs, malware, adware, spyware, and other threats such as MyAppBox and Win Magician. This is a major security concern because it could mean that SPTools was installed by or alongside malware that that is a risk to user privacy and computer functionality.
SPTools removal guide
SPTools can be uninstalled from Apps and Features. However, manually uninstalling the program will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats from an infected computer. To remove malware from an infected computer, we recommend scanning the computer with a reputable security program such as Malwarebytes Premium or Malwarebytes Free. Follow the free removal guide on this page to remove the SPTools PUP and use reputable antivirus software to remove malware from your computer.
Removal guide contents
How to uninstall SPTools
1. Right-click the start menu.
2. Go to Apps and Features.
3. Click SPTools and click Uninstall.
How to remove malware and viruses
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.