How to remove SearchProTools (Virus Removal Guide)
SearchProTools is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that practices unethical marketing techniques and bundles with malware, adware, and other viruses.
Table of Contents
SearchProTools by US Media Capital (SPTools, SearchPro Tools, Search Pro Tools, Search ProTools) is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10. The SearchProTools program claims to be a useful tool that “makes your search truly convenient and fast.” When installed, SearchProTools will display a window that says “make your search truly convenient and fast” and “just press ctrl+alt+f.” When the key combination is completed a small window will appear from the Windows taskbar with options to search the web using Google, Yahoo, Bing. DuckDuckGo, and Ask.com.
Although SearchProTools may sound like an adequate tool to search the web from Windows Desktop the primary function is to track what you search for online by intercepting your search results.
An issue with SearchProTools is how it is promoted and distributed. The program is known to utilize malicious advertising networks that display aggressive and deceptive advertisements around the web and bundle the program with malware, adware, spyware, and other threats.
There are numerous ways that SearchProTools can get onto a computer. The potentially unwanted program can be downloaded from the developer or distributors website, it can bundle with and be installed by free programs (freeware), and the installation may be promoted by advertisements served by malicious and/or aggressive advertising networks. Some free programs do not properly reveal that SearchProTools may be installed along with it and some installation procedures may offer you custom or advanced installation options. It is recommended to view advanced and custom installation options carefully to stop any unwanted programs from being installed. Also, make sure to pay attention to license agreements and installation procedures when installing anything off the internet.
SearchProTools utilizes malicious advertising networks and may bundle with free programs, malware, adware, spyware, and other threats such as MyAppBox and Win Magician. This is a major security concern because it could mean that SearchProTools was installed by or alongside malware that that is a risk to user privacy and computer functionality.
SearchProTools can be uninstalled from Apps and Features. However, manually uninstalling the program will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats from an infected computer. To remove malware from an infected computer, we recommend scanning the computer with a reputable security program such as Malwarebytes Premium or Malwarebytes Free. Follow the free removal guide on this page to remove the SearchProTools PUP and use reputable antivirus software to remove malware from your computer.
Removal guide contents
How to uninstall SearchProTools
1. Right-click the start menu.
2. Go to Apps and Features.
3. Click SearchProTools and click Uninstall.
How to remove malware and viruses
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.