Simple Driver Updater
Simple Driver Updater is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that utilizes unethical marketing practices and bundles with malware, adware, spyware, and viruses.
Table of Contents
Simple Driver Updater by Corel (
SimpleStar.com) is recognized as a potentially unwanted program (PUP) by ESET and other antivirus vendors. Simple Driver Updater is self-promoted as a utility tool for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 that “safely updates and maintains your computer’s drivers;” a feature that is already included with Windows Operating Systems. The developer claims that Simple Driver Updater ensures your PC hardware is performing at optimum levels and eliminates the risk of downloading faulty or infected drivers.
A utility tool that automatically updates and installs drivers on your computer may sound like an appealing program; However, it costs money to use and as previously mentioned, updating drivers is already included with Windows OS.
There is a free version that is a scanner only and a full version that costs money that includes features to update all drivers and backup drivers if restoration is required.
There are numerous ways that Simple Driver Updater can get onto a computer. The potentially unwanted program can be downloaded from the developer or distributors website, it can bundle with and be installed by freeware or malware, and more. Some free programs do not properly reveal that Simple Driver Updater may be installed along with it and some installation procedures may offer you custom or advanced installation options. It is recommended to view advanced and custom installation options carefully to stop any unwanted programs from being installed. Also, make sure to pay attention to license agreements and installation procedures when installing anything off the internet.
Simple Driver Updater utilizes malicious advertising networks and may bundle with free programs, malware, adware, spyware, and other threats such as Simple PC Optimizer, MyAppBox, and Win Magician. This is a major security concern because it could mean that Simple Driver Updater was installed by or alongside malware that that is a risk to user privacy and computer functionality.
Simple Driver Updater can be uninstalled from Apps and Features. However, manually uninstalling the program will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats from an infected computer. To remove malware from an infected computer, we recommend scanning the computer with a reputable security program such as Malwarebytes Premium or Malwarebytes Free. Follow the free removal guide on this page to remove the Simple Driver Updater PUP and use reputable antivirus software to remove malware from your computer.
Removal guide contents
How to uninstall Simple Driver Updater
1. Right-click the start menu.
2. Go to Apps and Features.
3. Click Simple Driver Updater and click Uninstall.
How to remove malware and viruses
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.