About this Ad virus
If you are experiencing advertisements that say About this Ad on them when browsing the internet, you are infected with a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) found in the adware category of computer infections that may also bundle with browser hijackers and spyware. “About this Ad” adware is a clear indication that malware or a PUP is present on a computer system.
Once potential About this Ad malware is installed, the adware program will observe and collect user information used to display targeted advertisements. This software may also potentially submit user information to third-party contractors. This may cause unwanted email spam, junk mail, and phone calls from telemarketers.
If About this Ad is installed, a user will notice pop-under advertisements that take up an entire browser window or browser tab, generic banner and skyscraper advertisements, in-text ads that pop-up when a user hovers over hyperlinked text, and/or pop-up advertisements that appear when a user hovers over images with their mouse pointer. A large amount of advertisements may appear at once and over-lap each other.
Malware or potentially unwanted programs used to display About this Ad pop-up advertisements often bundle with third-party freeware and shareware distributed by websites such as download.com and can also be found in advertisements, torrents, and other items on media related websites such as the thepiratebay.
Users are sometimes given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install About this Ad software and other items during the setup process of third-party software; However, the request to decline the offer is often ignored or presented in a very confusing manner.
Common software and browser add-ons and extensions that bundle with this advertisement serving platform include Topic Torch, IEPageTab Class, and others. These will need to be removed in order to stop advertisements from generating and cease other issues relating to this infection.
How to remove the About this Ad virus
- Option 1: About this Ad Removal Software & Tools – This first option details how to remove About this Ad malware using the free or full versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software and/or CCleaner by Piriform.
- Option 2: Manually remove About this Ad – This second option details how to manually uninstall About this Ad and remove unwanted browser attachments
- For Tech Support – Call 1-888-879-0084 and they will kindly assist you with removing this computer infection.
1. About this Ad Removal Software & Tools
Use the instructions below to automatically remove About this Ad and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or purchase the full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program and update the database if needed.
4. On the Dashboard click the large green Scan Now button.
5. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may state that potential malware or malware was detected. Click the Apply All Action button.
6. If files were quarantined, visit the History section and remove all files in the Quarantine selection.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall About this Ad adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for the unwanted software in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manually Remove About this Ad
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall software that displays About this Ad advertisements from Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
How to uninstall About this Ad
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to access the Windows 8 Start Menu).
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for unwanted software and double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list. Click the Uninstall button to remove the unwanted software.
How to remove About this Ad add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions below to remove About this Ad add-ons and extensions from Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. It may be necessary to remove third-party browser attachments.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the About this Ad extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the About this Ad add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the About this Ad add-on and remove it if located.