What are Pop-Under Advertisements?
Pop-Under Advertisements (or pop-under ads) are advertisements that appear in a new browser window or tab. Pop-Under Advertisements usually occur when a user clicks a link or somewhere on a webpage and can be initiated by a malware infection, in particular adware and spyware, or code implemented on a website by the webmaster. Pop-Under Advertisements primarily appear underneath an open browser window, in a new browser window, and are dominantly visible when a user closes the initial browser window; hence the term, pop-under.
Many find that Pop-Under Advertisements are unethical because most of the time the new browser windows are not meant to be found until a user decides to close their internet browser program and because most ads may promote adult content or suspicious links. Pop-under ads are also known to be high revenue generating advertisements in comparison to other forms and marketing formats of pop-up advertisements.
Pop-Under Advertisements appear on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and other internet browsers, and are often present on media related websites such as ThePirateBay or Movie4k, as well as pornography websites. This can mean if an advertisement appears in a new window on your internet browser, it may not be the result of a malware infection.
Since pop-under advertisements dominantly appear on adult websites or websites with poor safety reputations, the advertisements may promote third-party malware including adware, browser hijackers, and scareware (or rogue software), as well as online survey scams, and other forms of suspicious, misleading, and/or unethical marketing.
There are many ways to block and remove pop-under advertisements if they are present while you browse the internet. In some cases free and safe browser add-ons and extensions such as AdBlock and Adblock Plus can be used to block or restrict pop-under ads and other forms of advertisements from appearing while you browse the internet. In other cases, you can simply uninstall adware that is present on your computer, as well as remove any unwanted browser add-ons and extensions like PassShow that may be the cause of unwanted advertisements in a new window.
How does Pop-Under Adware get onto a computer?
Pop-under adware, or software used to generate pop-under ads often bundle with third-party freeware and shareware distributed by websites such as download.com. In some cases a user is given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install additional software during the setup process of some freeware and shareware; However, the offer is often presented in a confusing manner, or users complain that the software installed even though the opted out during setup.
Adware infections may also be contracted via suspicious advertisements and online content.
In some cases, adware is not the cause of ads that appear in a new window and there will be no software present on a computer system that may cause any unwanted symptoms. This can mean that a visited website may have implemented code from an advertisement-serving platform such as Clicksor in order to monetize their webpages. Although this seems safe, pop-under ads are often found as unethical and irritating.
How to remove the Pop-Under Adware
- Automatically remove Pop-Under Adware – Scan for and automatically remove Pop-Under Advertisements and third-party malware
- Manually remove Pop-Under Adware – Remove/Uninstall Pop-Under Adware and third-party malware (if necessary)
- For Tech Support – Call 1-888-879-0084 and they will kindly assist you with removing this infection
1. Automatic Pop-Under Adware removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Pop-Under Advertisements and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
4. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
5. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall Pop-Under Advertisement adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for any suspicious titles in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Pop-Under Advertisements virus removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Pop-Under Advertisements and third-party software using Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Pop-Under Adware
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for unwanted software. Once the adware program is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Pop-Under add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove Pop-Under add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extensions and remove them by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for unwanted add-ons and remove them.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for unwanted add-ons and remove them if located.