The WPM virus (also known as Ads by WPM184.108.40.206, WPM by Cherished Technology LIMITED) is a term used to identify a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) that is found in the adware, browser hijacker, and spyware categories of computer infections. WPM software primarily installs to a Microsoft Windows Operating System and attaches to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Internet Explorer as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and/or extension with or without user consent in order to serve targeted advertisements and cause other issues such as browser redirects.
Once WPM malware is installed, the potentially unwanted program will being to collect user information such as your browsing activity, history, and manually submitted information. It will likely use this information to a variety of different advertisements. Some advertisements are pop-under ads take up an entire browser window or browser tab. Others are generic banner and skyscraper adverts, in-text ads, and/or pop-up advertisements that may appear when a user hovers over text or images with their mouse pointer.
Most advertisements displayed by WPM will contain text that say something similar to “Ads by WPM, brought by WPM, or simply Deals.”
This program and similar browser hijackers may also change existing intenret browser settings such as the default browser homepage and search engine. This causes affected browsers to start-up on and redirect to unwanted websites.
The WPM adware application bundles with third-party freeware and shareware distributed by websites such as download.com and can also be found in adverts, torrents, and other items on media related websites similar to thepiratebay.
Users are sometimes given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install WPM software and other items during the setup process of third-party software; However, the request to decline the offer is often ignored or presented in a very confusing manner.
How to remove the WPM virus
- Option 1: Automatically remove WPM – This first option details how to remove WPM malware using the free or full versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software and/or CCleaner by Piriform.
- Option 2: Manually remove WPM – This second option details how to manually uninstall WPM and remove unwanted browser attachments
- For Tech Support – Call 1-888-879-0084 and they will kindly assist you with removing this computer infection.
1. Automatic WPM removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove WPM and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or purchase the full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program and update the database if needed.
4. On the Dashboard click the large green Scan Now button.
5. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall WPM adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall WPM and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for WPM, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual WPM removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall WPM adware from Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
How to uninstall WPM
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to access the Windows 8 Start Menu).
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for WPM and other potentially unwanted software. Once the adware program is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove WPM add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions below to remove WPM add-ons and extensions from Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. It may be necessary to remove third-party browser attachments.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the WPM extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the WPM add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the WPM add-on and remove it if located.