Plus HD virus (Plus-HD)
The Plus HD virus (also found as PlusHD virus, Plus-HD pop-ups, Ads by Plus-HD, Plus-HD-4.7, Plus-HD-4.9, Plus HD Services, or simply the Plus-HD virus, etc.; though not technically a computer virus) is potential malware categorized as adware, a browser hijacker, and spyware that installs to a Microsoft Windows computer system and attaches to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer as an advertisement supported browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension with or without user consent. Plus-HD software primarily bundles with third-party items and other potential malware that may cause further complications.
Plus-HD is promoted as a free browser add-on and extension used to automatically play YouTube and other videos in HD. Once Plus HD malware is installed, it will begin to replace existing internet browser settings and displays unwanted pop-up advertisements, in-text ads, banner ads, and drop-down coupon ads.
Plus HD adware will attempt to display targeted coupons and offers similar to Scorpion Saver for searched items or currently viewed products on retail websites. The advertisements may drop down from the top right of the open internet browser window with a list that contains links to coupons.
Some Plus HD pop-ups can be identified by a blue, green, or white tab at the top browser window as well as banners and skyscrapers that say Ads by Plus HD or brought by Plus HD with a link to the company website.
Once a program that is used to assist in displaying Plus HD advertisements is installed it will begin to change Microsoft Windows start-up settings and internet browser settings. Furthermore unwanted applications used to promote Plus HD advertisements may violate user privacy by collecting and distributing sensitive user information and ruin a computer’s functionality and internet browsing experience (often associated with unwanted browser redirections and changed homepage settings).
The Plus HD extension for Google Chrome has permission to access your data on all websites and access your tabs and browsing activity.
Plus HD malware and third-party items have also been reported to submit collected user information to third-party marketing and mailing lists without user consent. Some users have reported unwanted email spam, junk mail, and have even complained of unwanted telephone calls from telemarketers concerning their recent browser activity and history.
How does Plus HD adware get onto a computer?
Plus HD often bundles with third-party freeware and shareware from websites such as download.com and Softonic.
In some cases users are given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install Plus HD adware and other items; however, the request to decline the offer is often ignored or presented in a very confusing manner as pictured below where the Accept button will appear where the Next button does during the installation process in order to trick users into installing excessive bloatware and malware.
Plus HD adware can also be manually and voluntarily downloaded from a variety of unethical sources including the company website.
How to remove the Plus HD virus
- Automatically remove Plus HD - Scan for and automatically remove Plus HD and third-party malware
- Manually remove Plus HD - Remove/Uninstall Plus HD software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic Plus HD removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Plus HD adware and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall Plus HD adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Plus HD and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Plus HD, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Plus HD removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Plus HD adware and third-party software using Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Plus-HD by Plus HD
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Plus-HD by Plus HD and other potentially unwanted software. Once the adware program is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button. Keep in mind that Plus HD may use a different title name than suggested.
How to remove Plus HD add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove Plus HD add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Plus HD extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Plus HD add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Plus HD add-on and remove it if located.