How to remove Open Software Updater (Virus Removal Guide)
Open Software Updater virus
Open Software Updater (also found as OpenSoftwareUpdater) is a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) categorized as adware, a browser hijacker, and spyware that is promoted as a freeware application for computers using the Microsoft Windows Operating System.
Once potential Open Software Updater malware gets onto a computer, the adware program will being to collect user information, including browser activity, history, and manually submitted information, such as email addresses, identification data, and more. Open Software Updater and third-parties will likely use this information to display a variety of different advertisements on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and/or Internet Explorer.
Some Open Software Updater advertisements are pop-under ads that take up an entire browser window or browser tab. Others are generic banner and skyscraper adverts, in-text ads, and/or pop-up advertisements that may appear when a user hovers over text or images with their mouse pointer.
OpenSoftwareUpdater also displays pop-up notifications on Windows Desktop; primarily from the bottom right corner of the display. These Open Software Updater pop-ups are often promoting sponsored software such as Flash Player Pro and may suggest that software exist in a computer system even though it is not present.
The Open Software Updater adware application bundles with third-party freeware and shareware distributed by websites such as download.com and can also be found in adverts, torrents, and other items on media related websites similar to thepiratebay.
Users are sometimes given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install Open Software Updater software and other items during the setup process of third-party software; However, the request to decline the offer is often ignored or presented in a very confusing manner.
This program can also be downloaded from the publisher’s website.
[fancy_box title=”Open Software Updater overview”]
- The Open Software Updater extension can read and change all your data on the websites you visit and read and change your browsing history.
- The Open Software Updater extension can manage your apps, extensions, downloads, and themes.
- Open Software Updater bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and possible malware.
- Open Software Updater can arrive on a computer system packed inside installers and downloaders from websites such as download.com, Softonic, and others.
- Open Software Updater injects visited webpages with pop-up, pop-under, in-text, and in-image advertisements.
- Open Software Updater makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks allowing it to run every time Windows starts and to check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program has previously been disabled it will enable itself to run.
How to remove Open Software Updater (Removal Guide)
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Step 1: Remove Open Software Updater extensions
- Step 2: Uninstall Open Software Updater from Windows
- Step 3: Remove Open Software Updater virus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner by Piriform
- For Tech Support Call: 1-888-986-8411
Step 1: Remove Open Software Updater extensions
We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon on the top menu and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Open Software Updater extension in the list. Remove unwanted browser extensions individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to each one.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. Search for the Open Software Updater add-ons on the Extensions and Plugin tab. Highlight each one individually and click remove.
1. Click Safari and go to Preferences > Extensions.
2. Find the Open Software Updater extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 2: Uninstall Open Software Updater from Windows
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. On Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section.
3. Search for Open Software Updater and other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once an unwanted program is located, double click the item or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button. If you can not find this program in the list of installed program please see steps 3 and 4 below.
Step 3: Remove Open Software Updater virus with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install the free or full edition of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full edition of this program enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is only a free scan and removal tool.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Download Malwarebytes Free[/button][button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/?affiliate=23046&scope=checkout&cart=139724″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Buy Premium Now[/button]
2. Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
3. Click the Scan Now button or go to the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan.
4. When the malware scan is complete you will notice a list of files it has detected. Click the Remove Selected button, then click Finish, and reboot your computer.
Step 4: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Download and install the free or full edition of CCleaner by Piriform.
[button link=”https://secure.piriform.com/502/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=https%3a%2f%2fwww.piriform.com%2fccleaner%2fdownload%2fstandard” align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Download CCleaner Free[/button]
[button link=”https://secure.piriform.com/502/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=https%3a%2f%2fwww.piriform.com%2fccleaner%2fdownload%2fprofessional” align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Buy Professional Now[/button]
2. Open the program and go to Cleaner and click the Analyze button. After files and have been analyzed, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Registry and click Scan for Issues. When the scan is complete click Fix selected issues… and then click the Fix All Selected Issues button.
4. Go to to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, all the way to Context Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Delete once anything suspicious is found to remove it.