How to remove the DownLite virus (Removal Guide)
DownLite virus (downlite.net)
The DownLite virus (also found as the Down Lite virus, downlite.net redirect virus, downlite ads, etc.; though not technically a computer virus) is dangerous malware categorized as adware, a browser hijacker, and spyware that installs to a Microsoft Windows computer system and attaches to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension with or without user consent in order to serve targeted advertisements and cause further complications.
DownLite uses confusing and unethical marketing tactics in order to get users to install the software. In some cases downlite.net advertisements may attempt to be part of the thepiratebay.se website; likely on a torrent download page with links that say “download” and “play now,” or other.
When a user clicks the play now or download button they will be redirected to a webpage on http://www.downlite.net that may attempt to appear like thepiratebay.se website. There may also be a button that says “download torrent.” DownLite will trick users into thinking that they are going to download a torrent for the specific file they were viewing on ThePirateBay website. If the “download torrent” button is clicked, a user will have no choice but to download and install DownLite malware.
Once DownLite software is installed, the potentially unwanted program will being to collect user data, display target advertisements, and possibly corrupt internet browser settings in order to cause affected internet browsers to redirect to downlite.net and other websites such as search.conduit.com.
The DownLite virus generates a wide variety of advertisements from pop-up advertisements, pop-under adverts, to in-text advertisements and simple banner adverts, as well as the previously mentioned redirect advertisements.
According to security vendor Symantec Norton, DownLite is malicious, and software such as Norton 360 will not only block the malicious files (downlite.exe, etc.) from infecting a computer – it will actually completely remove the file. This will stop the malware from automatically installing and may prompt a random notification from Windows stating that a file is missing.
DownLite malware and third-party items have also been reported to submit collected user information to third-party marketing and mailing lists without user consent. Some users have reported unwanted email spam, junk mail, and have even complained of unsolicited telephone calls from telemarketers concerning their recent browser activity and history.
How does DownLite malware get onto a computer?
DownLite software often bundles with third-party freeware and shareware and can be accidentally downloaded by clicking advertisements on websites such as download.com and thepiratebay.
In some cases users are given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install DownLite while voluntarily downloading and/or installing software from certain websites; however, the request to decline the offer is often ignored or presented in a very confusing manner.
How to remove the DownLite virus
- Automatically remove DownLite virus – Scan for and automatically remove DownLite and third-party malware
- Manually remove DownLite virus – Remove/Uninstall DownLite and third-party malware (if necessary)
- For Tech Support – Call 1-888-986-8411 and they will kindly assist you with removing this infection
1. Automatic DownLite virus removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove DownLite malware and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove search.gohoto.it search engine from your internet browsers.
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
If you need help give us a call!
2. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
3. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
4. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
5. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
5. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings, remove downlite.new redirects, and uninstall DownLite spyware.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall DownLite navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for DownLite in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual DownLite virus removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall DownLite and third-party malware using Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall DownLite
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for DownLite and other potentially unwanted software. Once DownLite is located, double click it or highlight it in the list and click the Uninstall button. *Keep in mind that DownLite may use a different title name than suggested, as well as bundle with additional software that may need to be removed.
*DownLite software may not use a publisher name in order to remain anonymous.
How to remove DownLite add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove DownLite add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party browser attachments.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the DownLite extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the DownLite add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the DownLite add-on and remove it if located.