How to remove the SpecialSavings virus – SpecialSavings adware removal instructions
What is the SpecialSavings virus (adware)?
The SpecialSavings virus or specialsavings.com virus are terms for a combination of invasive malware categorized as adware and browser hijacker, preferably titled Special Savings adware that causes unwanted advertisements to appear in the form of pop-up ads, coupons and deal ads, in-text advertisements, and general advertisements that pop up when hovering over images, as well as high paying pop-under advertisements. Victims of SpecialSavings malware essentially notice SpecialSavings advertisements when browsing retail-eCommerce type websites such as Amazon.com or Kayak, though SpecialSavings ads may appear anytime the computer has intenret connectivity. The SpecialSavings pop-up appears once the internet user hovers over a product as displayed in the image to the right. Furthermore, SpecialSavings associates with third-party malware that may cause unwanted redirections to malicious web pages and search engines.
SpecialSavings is common adware alike SolidSavings and SavingsAddon but is powered by SuperFish and installs unwanted “deal finder” browser attachments to the computer systems it infects. It has been reported that removing third-party and associated browser attachments, including add-ons, extensions, and toolbars has stopped SpecialSavings advertisements from appearing.
If you are experiencing SpecialSavings advertisements or symptoms of third-party malware (including unwanted browser redirections and startups), use our free SpecialSavings removal instructions further below to eradicate SpecialSavings and third-party malware.
How does SpecialSavings malware infect a computer?
SpecialSavings can be manually and voluntarily installed from a variety of websites including
specialsavings.com. SpecialSavings only bundles with associated and third-party software, including software that may give users the opportunity to “opt out” of installing the unwanted ad serving code alongside the initial download, though it has been reported that SpecialSavings affects internet users without permission. It can also be said that third-parties associated with SpecialSavings entrap users to unethical terms that allow them to serve Special Savings advertisements.
SpecialSavings installs alongside browser attachments such as add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars, as well as general freeware, shareware, codecs, torrents, and more. It has been noted that SpecialSavings primarily installs inside the Deal Finder extension and related combo browser hijackers.
How to remove the SpecialSavings virus
- Automatically remove SpecialSavings malware – Scan for and automatically remove SpecialSavings and third-party malware
- Manually remove SpecialSavings malware – Remove/Uninstall SpecialSavings and third-party malware
1. Automatic SpecialSavings removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove SpecialSavings and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your home page, default search engine, browser shortcuts, and other hijacked settings.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall pesky SpecialSavings software. You can even use CCleaner to remove ransomware, but that does not apply here.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found. This is orchestrated in the video below.
4. To automatically uninstall SpecialSavings and unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for SpecialSavings software, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the programs as selected.
2. Manual SpecialSavings removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall SpecialSavings using generic removal procedures.
How to uninstall SpecialSavings malware
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for SpecialSavings and other potentially unwanted software, including software downloaded from websites such as download.com. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove the SpecialSavings add-on and extension
Use the instructions to remove SpecialSavings related third-party add-ons, extensions, plugins, and toolbars.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the third-party SpecialSavings extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the third-party SpecialSavings add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the third-party SpecialSavings add-on and remove it if located.
- How to remove MyPoints (hijacker/redirect)
- How to remove Text Enhance (In-text adware)
- How to block advertisements and malicious resources using Windows hosts file
- How to stop unwanted redirections
- How to restore Microsoft Windows Operating Systems (XP, Vista, 7)
- How to refresh/reset Microsoft Windows 8 Operating Systems