How to remove the PassShow virus (Adware Removal Guide)
PassShow virus (Ads by PassShow)
The PassShow virus (also found as the Pass Show virus, Powered by PassShow, brought by PassShow, PassShow Deals, or Ads by PassShow; though not technically a computer virus) is potential malware categorized as adware and a browser hijacker that installs to a Microsoft Windows computer system and attaches to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension with or without user consent. PassShow primarily bundles with third-party items and other potential malware that may cause further complications.
Once PassShow malware is installed, it will begin to replace existing internet browser settings and displays unwanted pop-up advertisements, pop-under ads, new-tab ads, in-text ads, banner ads, and especially drop-down coupons while browsing the internet.
Most of the time PassShow pop-up advertisements appear after a user clicks links while browsing the internet on any website. The advertisement may seem like a redirect virus as many advertisements open a new browser tab and direct the user to a third-party website.
A green Jollywallet topbar may also appear that says Powered by PassShow at the top of an open internet browser window.
PassShow adware will attempt to display targeted coupons and offers for searched items or currently viewed products on retail websites by displaying a drop down tab and menu that can be identified by text that says the user has a numerical amount of coupons. The advertisements may drop down from the top right of the open internet browser window in a light blue drop-down list that contains links to coupons. Once clicked a coupon may be applied to the visited webpage.
Some PassShow pop-ups can be identified by a blue, green, or white tab at the top browser window as well as banners and skyscrapers that say Ads by PassShow or Brought by PassShow with a link to the publisher website.
Once a program that is used to assist in displaying PassShow advertisements is installed it will begin to change Microsoft Windows start-up settings and internet browser settings. Furthermore, unwanted applications used to promote PassShow advertisements may violate user privacy by collecting and distributing sensitive user information and ruin a computer’s functionality and internet browsing experience (often associated with unwanted browser redirections and changed homepage settings).
The PassShow extension on Google Chrome has permission to access your data on all websites and access your tabs and browsing activity.
PassShow malware and third-party items have also been reported to submit collected user information to third-party marketing and mailing lists without user consent or direct knowledge. Some users have reported unwanted email spam, junk mail, and have even complained of unwanted telephone calls from telemarketers concerning their recent browser activity and history.
PassShow is also stubborn to uninstall and will make users reboot their systems and/or enter a verification code or go through a series of prompts before the adware can be removed properly.
How does PassShow adware get onto a computer?
PassShow often bundles with third-party freeware and shareware from websites such as download.com. In some cases users are given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install PassShow adware and other items; however, the request to decline the offer is often ignored or presented in a very confusing manner. The Accept button will appear where the Next button does during the installation process in order to trick users into installing excessive bloatware and malware.
PassShow adware can also be manually and voluntarily downloaded from a variety of unethical sources including the company website.
How to remove the PassShow virus
- Option 1: Automatically remove the PassShow virus – Scan for and automatically remove PassShow and third-party malware using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Option 2: Manually remove the PassShow virus – Manually remove (uninstall) PassShow software and third-party malware
- For Tech Support: Call 1-888-879-0084 and they will kindly assist you with removing this infection
Use the instructions below to automatically remove PassShow adware and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
4. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
5. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall PassShow adware and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall PassShow and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for PassShow, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall PassShow adware and third-party software using Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall PassShow
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for PassShow by PassShow Software and other potentially unwanted software. Once the adware program is located, double click the unwanted program(s) or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button. Keep in mind that PassShow Software may use a different title name than suggested and you may need to uninstall several programs.
How to remove PassShow add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove PassShow add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the PassShow extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the PassShow add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the PassShow add-on and remove it if located.