How To Remove The Ergative.com Redirection Virus and Ergative Hijacker
What is the Ergative.com redirection virus?
The ergative.com redirection virus is an internet browser hijacker that affects internet browser settings, changing the Home Page to ergative.com and Provided Search Engine to ergative.com causing internet searches and URLs typed into the address bar to redirect to ergative.com. Ergative.com appears similar to Google and apparently uses Google’s custom search. Ergative.com allows users to change options such as background images (pictured below) and other visual features.
Though ergative.com may seem legitimate it has been reported as a dangerous browser hijacker. Search result links from ergative.com have been documented to assist in the installation of adware and spyware applications.
If issues/malware concerning and causing redirections to ergative.com are not removed from your computer you are at risk of being a victim of cyber crime involving credit theft, identity theft, extortion schemes, and other serious criminal activity.
Why is my Home Page Ergative.com
If your home page has changed to ergative.com without your consent you are most likely infected with malware, viruses, and/or Trojans. This is often the first sign of a computer infection or exploit.
Why are internet searches and URLs redirecting to Ergative.com?
If your internet browser is redirecting to ergative.com without your consent, your provided search engine has been altered to accommodate a malicious third party and you are most likely infected with malware, viruses, and/or Trojans. ergative.com is capable of hijacking internet browser settings, in turn causing internet searches and URLs typed into the browser’s address bar to redirect to ergative.com and/or other websites.
The ergative.com browser hijacker or other third party infections may have been contracted from visiting a malicious site hosting malware, drive by download sites, third party infections, downloading freeware/shareware, video codecs, and other cyber criminal phishing techniques such as spam emails and/or hiijacked social media post links.
1. Anti-Malware Software (Remove Malware)
Malwarebytes is the most recommended Antivirus – Anti-Malware software used to scan, detect, and remove malware including browser hijackers. View other Antivirus recommendations. If necessary, search for and remove third party malware that has infected your system. Once removed, proceed to repair your Home Page and Provided Search Engines in order to stop unwanted redirections and “start ups” to ergative.com.
2. System Restore (Troubleshoot Malware)
If you suspect your system is infected by a third party or a severe pasrasite causing your browser to be affected byergative.com, perform a system restore to an automatic restore point created by Window’s each week and during system updates. Once complete, if necessary, proceed to repair your Home Page and Provided Search Engines in order to completely remove ergative.com from affecting your browser.
3. Repair Home Page
Follow the instructions per each browser installed on your system to remove ergative.com as your home page.
1. Click Tools and select Options.
2. On the General tab, click Restore to Default or add you preferred URL.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Internet Options.
2. On the General tab click Restore to Default or add your preferred URL.
1. Click on the Wrench or 3 bar icon next to the address bar and select Settings.
2. Under the On startup section click Set pages.
3. Click the X next to ergative.com to remove it and add your preferred home page URL.
4. Repair Provided Search Engines
To stop your browser from redirecting to ergative.com and other unwanted search results, and/or links, follow the instructions below to fix your browsers provided search engine.
1. Click the small search arrow or magnify glass near the search bar at the top of the internet browser.
2. Select Manage search engines…
3. Highlight ergative.com and/or related search engines and click remove. The search engine may be a default search engine or listed under “Other search engines”.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. Navigate to the Search Providers list.
3. Search for ergative.com and/or related search engines and click the Remove button.
1. Click the 3 bar or wrench settings icon and select Settings.
2. In the Search section select the Manage search engines… button.
3. Remove ergative.com and/or related search engines by selecting the X next to the URL upon clicking on and highlighting the website(s). If ergative.com is the default search engine, chose another search engine such as Bing or Google by highlighting details and clicking “make default” in a transparent blue box next to the legitimate engine.
Cache And Cookies
If your browser has visited the ergative.com website without your consent, or you visited ergative.com during removal procedures, it is recommended to clear your browser cache and cookie files. You can change your browser cache and cookie files by visiting your browser’s settings or preference options.
Internet browser hijackers often infect systems alongside an add-on, extension, and/or Toolbar. To check if your internet browser is infected with an unwanted browser helper object (BHO), please refer to previous articles concerning similar browser hijackers that install alongside and bundled with BHOs.