YouTube Downloader by MagnusMentis Limited is recognized as a Trojan, Adware, and Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) by antivirus programs including DrWeb and Webroot. YouTube Downloader is self-promoted as a tool for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 that allows users to download “any video, game play, news, music, and sports with no ads.” When launched, the program insists that users sign in to their YouTube accounts in order to use it.
The program is a barebones version of the Chromium web browser with fewer features and a single YouTube Downloader extension. Settings and other features cannot be accessed and the program will not work as allegedly advertised unless signed in.
The program will install in C: Program Files (x86) YouTube Downloader and display an icon on Windows desktop once the installation is complete. A startup task will be created that enables the program to run every time Windows starts. When running in the background, the program will launch multiple processes named YouTube Downloader Update, YouTube Downloader Update (32bit), and YouTube Downloader that uses a large amount of system memory.
How did YouTube Downloader get onto my computer?
There are numerous ways that YouTube Downloader can get onto a computer. It can be downloaded from the developer’s website, be installed by with freeware or malware without user consent and knowledge, and/or be offered as a custom or advanced installation. Some free programs offer YouTube Downloader as a custom or advanced installation. Therefore it is recommended to view advanced and custom installation options carefully to stop any unwanted programs from being installed. In addition, make sure to pay attention to license agreements and installation procedures when installing anything off the internet.
Bundles with malware and potentially unwanted programs
YouTube Downloader utilizes malicious advertising networks and may bundle with free programs, malware, adware, spyware, and other threats such as Simple PC Optimizer, MyAppBox, and Win Magician. This is a major security concern because it could mean that YouTube Downloader was installed by or alongside malware that that is a risk to user privacy and computer functionality.
When the program is installed, these are symptoms that may occur:
- Pop-up advertisements
- Pop-up notifications
- Hijacked homepage
- Hijacked search provider
- Hijacked new tab page
- Constant browser redirects
- Suspicious browser extensions
- Suspicious programs on PC
- Slower browsing experience
- Slow and sluggish PC
How to remove YouTube Downloader
YouTube Downloader can be uninstalled from Windows Control Panel or Apps and Features like most programs. However, manually uninstalling the program will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats from an infected computer. In order to remove malware and other threats from an infected computer, we recommend scanning a computer with reputable security software that is known to detect and remove malware and other threats.
How to uninstall YouTube Downloader
1. Right-click the start menu.
2. Go to Apps and Features.
3. Click YouTube Downloader and click Uninstall.
How to remove malware
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.