ArcadeGem Promos is an ad-serving browser extension compatible with Google Chrome that displays pop-up advertisements once installed. Similar to adware, the ArcadeGem Promos extension injects affected web browsers with banners, in-text ads, pop-under, and generic pop-up advertisements. The extension is a marketing tool for the online gaming website ArcadeGem.
An issue with ArcadeGem Promos and similar extensions including Heyweb, Genius APP, and Power App is that they can read and change all your data on the websites you visit allowing them to share collected data with unknown parties for unknown purposes. In addition, this may not be the only permission the extension can act out, it may also read browsing history and modify browser settings.
These are symptoms that may occur when the ArcadeGem Promos extension is installed:
- Pop-up advertisements
- Pop-up notifications
- Hijacked homepage
- Hijacked search engine
- Hijacked new tab page
- Constant browser redirects
- Other suspicious browser extensions installed
- Other suspicious software installed
- Slower browser performance
- Slow and sluggish PC
Another issue is that the ArcadeGem Promos extension utilizes unethical, deceptive, and aggressive advertising methods, including malicious advertising networks, in order to get onto a browser. Webpages and advertisements promoting the extension will attempt to force users to install them, or at least make it confusing, by continuously showing error messages.
The use of malicious advertising networks by the extension also means that it may bundle with or be advertised alongside third-party malware, adware, browser hijackers, spyware, ransomware, potentially unwanted programs, and other threats. Third-party threats provide even greater security and privacy risks. It is recommended to scan your computer immediately to remove such threats.
How to remove ArcadeGem Promos
Like most browser extensions, the ArcadeGem Promos browser extension can be manually removed through browser settings. However, removing the browser extension through browser settings will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats from an infected computer. To remove malware and other threats from an infected computer, we recommend scanning a computer with reputable security software that is known to detect and remove malware and other threats. Follow the guide below to completely remove ArcadeGem Promos and malware from any computer.
How to remove the ArcadeGem Promos extension
1. Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions
2. Click the Remove button
1. Open the menu and go to Add-ons
2. Click the Remove button
How to remove malware
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.