How to remove Judyweb (Virus Removal Guide)
Judyweb is a malicious browser extension in the SearchDimension family of browser hijackers that changes existing internet browser settings including the startup page, new tab page, and search engine. The change of settings causes Google Chrome and other compatible web browsers to redirect to an “interceptor website” when a browser window is launched, a new tab is opened, or a search is performed in the address bar.
An interceptor website is a man in the middle website that collects and tracks browsing activities including what a user searches for and which results are shown. When a search is performed the browser will redirect to the interceptor website and then to a proper search engine such as bing.com where search results are displayed.
The Judyweb extension collects and shares the data it collects with unknown parties for unknown purposes. In addition to using interceptor websites, the extension has permission to read browsing history, allow several websites to control browser settings, and change search settings to any site it wants. Furthermore, the extension can collect browser history and collect user data in incognito mode.
Here are some common symptoms that may occur when the Judyweb extension is installed:
- Pop-up advertisements
- Pop-up notifications
- Hijacked homepage
- Hijacked search engine
- Hijacked new tab page
- Constant browser redirects
- Other suspicious browser extensions installed
- Other suspicious software installed
- Slower browser performance
- Slow and sluggish PC
The Judyweb extension and other extensions similar to it including Heyweb, Genius APP, Power App, and others are known to utilize unethical, deceptive, and aggressive advertising methods, including malicious advertising networks, in order to get onto a browser. Webpages and advertisements promoting the extension will attempt to force users to install them, or at least make it confusing, by continuously showing error messages.
The use of malicious advertising networks by the extension also means that it may bundle with or be advertised alongside third-party malware, adware, browser hijackers, spyware, ransomware, potentially unwanted programs, and other threats. Third-party threats provide an even greater security and privacy risk. It is recommended to scan your computer immediately to remove such threats.
How to remove Judyweb
Like most browser extensions, the Judyweb browser extension can be manually removed through browser settings. However, removing the browser extension through browser settings will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats from an infected computer. To remove malware and other threats from an infected computer, we recommend scanning a computer with reputable security software that is known to detect and remove malware and other threats. Follow the guide below to completely remove Judyweb and malware from any computer.
How to remove the Judyweb extension
1. Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions
2. Click the Remove button
1. Open the menu and go to Add-ons
2. Click the Remove button
How to remove malware
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.