Power App (Extension)
Power App is an unwanted browser extension that invades your privacy, hijacks your web browser, and bundles with malware, adware, spyware, and viruses.
Table of Contents
Power App (also searched for as Power App virus) is a malicious browser extension that hijacks existing internet browser settings including the startup page, new tab page, and search engine. The extension is self-described as a browser extension that “configures your Default Search to Power App (searchpowerapp.com)” and shares the same description, functions, and distributor as the Genius App extension and other similar extensions.
The Power App extension and other similar extensions are known to be a security risk because they retain and share user data with unknown parties for unknown purposes. The extensions typically have permission to read browsing history, change search settings to searchpowerapp.com, read and change bookmarks, manage other apps, extensions, and themes, and read and change all user data on the websites they visit.
As previously mentioned, the Power App extension replaces the default internet browser’s search engine settings, startup page, and new tab page with a new site such as searchpowerapp.com. As a result, this causes the infected web browser to redirect to the site when a new browser window is launched, a new tab is opened, or a search is made.
When a search is performed in the address bar or on the associated website the results will be filtered by the site and then shown on a proper search engine such as search.yahoo.com. This allows the associated website to collect user data and observe what users search for online.
One of the biggest issues with the Power App extension is that it may bundle with and/or be advertised by malicious advertising networks that spread malware, adware, browser hijackers, spyware, computer viruses, and other security threats. Simply put, it is possible that your computer is infected with malware due to how the extension is distributed.
Speaking of how the extension is distributed, the Power App extension is most often promoted by deceptive advertisements that promote it as something it isn’t and aggressive advertisements that force and pester users to install it. It can be downloaded through these advertisements and from the developer’s website and Google Web Store.
The Power App browser extension can be manually removed through internet browser settings. However, removing the browser extension within the settings will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats from an infected computer. To remove malware from an infected computer, we recommend scanning the computer with a reputable security program such as Malwarebytes Premium or Malwarebytes Free. Follow the free removal guide on this page to remove the Power App extension and use reputable antivirus software to remove malware from your computer.
Removal guide contents
How to remove the Power App extension
1. Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions
2. Click the Remove button
1. Open the menu and go to Add-ons
2. Click the Remove button
How to remove malware and viruses
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.