How to remove the Default-Search.net redirect virus (Removal Guide)
The Default-Search.net virus (also found as the Default-Search virus, Default-Search.net redirect virus, and other terms; though not technically a virus) is potential malware (similar to the Linkey Project virus) categorized as a browser hijacker and spyware that installs to a Microsoft Windows computer and attaches to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension with or without user consent.
The Default-Search.net add-on and extension or other item, including software used to promote www.default-search.net (and other websites) changes internet browser settings including the home page (start page) and internal browser search engine (default, managed, and provided search engines. This causes affected browsers to redirect to http://www.default-search.net and start-up on the Default-Search search engine when users open a new browser window or browser tab.
Once software used to promote the Default-Search.net redirect is installed the application will begin to replace existing internet browser settings, install additional software, and collect sensitive user information including data manually submitted online such as your name, home address, telephone number, email address, browser activity and history, and more. Default-Search.net malware may also collect information when unwanted software is uninstalled and use additional techniques to collect purchase information or persuade victims to purchase sponsored and/or non-beneficial software.
If software that causes your internet browser to redirect to http://default-search.net is installed on your computer system and attached to your internet browser you are at higher risk of cyber crimes involving credit theft, extortion, identity theft, and others. Even though these crimes are rare, this particular category of malware leaves users at a much higher risk if the software was never introduced to the computer system.
Default-Search.net may redirect users to additional websites including search.yahoo.com and is not considered a legitimate standalone search engine. Search results displayed by the search engine contain suspicious sponsored links and website results. This search engine does not user proper search procedures.
How does the Default-Search.net hijacker get onto a computer?
Items used to promote the Default-Search.net redirect virus such as Linkey or HotSpot Shield can be manually and voluntarily installed from a variety of questionable websites including download.com. Downloadable software that supports the WebSearch website often bundles with suspicious third-party freeware and shareware.
Some users are given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install unwanted software and change their home page and search engine to the Default-Search.net search engine; However, the request to decline the offer is often ignored or represented in a confusing manner by the developer or distributor.
How to remove the Default-Search virus
- Automatically remove Default-Search.net – Scan for and automatically remove Default-Search.net and third-party malware
- Manually remove Default-Search.net – Remove/Uninstall Default-Search.net supported software and third-party malware (if necessary)
- For Tech Support – Call 1-888-879-0084 and they will kindly assist you with removing this infection
1. Automatic Default-Search.net virus removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Default-Search.net and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall the Default-Search.net hijacker and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Default-Search.net supported software such as Linkey or HotSpot Shield and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for software used to support www.default-search.net, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Default-Search.net virus removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Default-Search.net supported software and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Default-Search.net (supported software)
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Default-Search.net supported software such as Linkey and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Default-Search.net add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove Default-Search.net add-ons and extension. Please note, it may be necessary to remove different attachments than suggested and multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Default-Search.net extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Default-Search.net add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Default-Search.net add-on and remove it if located.
How to remove Default-Search.net search engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove the Default-Search.net search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove the Default-Search.net search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to the Default-Search.net search engine to remove it.
Please note, If http://www.default-search.net/ is set as Google Chrome’s default search engine, add (or select) a new search engine (such as Google.com) and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove the unwanted search engine by clicking the X next to it.
How to remove Default-Search.net homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove Default-Search.net from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove Default-Search.net from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove Default-Search.net and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.