How to remove Interstat (Virus Removal Guide)
This comprehensive Interstat removal guide will help you remove the “Interstat virus” and other threats from your computer.
Table of Contents
- What is Interstat?
- How did Interstat get on my computer?
- How to uninstall Interstat from Windows
- How to remove unwanted browser attachments
- How to remove Interstat with Malwarebytes
- How to remove Interstat with HitmanPro
- How to repair your computer with CCleaner
- Interstat removal tips
What is Interstat?
Interstat by Weather Channel (also searched for as the Interstat virus) is a program and browser attachment that is detected as a potentially unwanted program (or PUP) by reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware programs such as Malwarebytes and HitmanPro. The detection can be found as PUP.Optional.GoSearchMe. Interstat adware is primarily used to serve pop-up and in-text advertisements while you browse the web. Ads generated by Interstat will usually say “Ads by Interstat” or “Brought by Interstat” on them. Advertisements served by Interstat adware range from harmless coupons to malicious programs and exploit kits that introduce severe forms of malware to your computer. Although Interstat is not technically defined as a computer virus the adware and potentially unwanted program can be the initial sign of a severe computer infection because Interstat adware may bundle with other unwanted programs and malware.
The Interstat application will also run a weatherforecast program and process that will run every time Windows starts. The process will use a large amount of CPU% and memory, which can cause your computer to become slow and sluggish. Interstat also bundles with malware including Backdoor.Agent.WD, potentially unwanted programs, and other threats.
Users who become infected with the “Interstat virus” may also notice browser redirects to suspicious webpages. This is because the program and programs that it bundles with may change your existing internet browser settings including the homepage, default search engine, and new tab settings.
How did Interstat get on my computer?
Interstat adware and ad-serving programs similar to it such as DNSUnlocker and MiniBrowser are usually introduced to a computer without user knowledge. Interstat can bundle with other unwanted programs that automatically download and install it in the background without your approval. The adware can be contracted from third-party software bundlers and download managers associated with dubious programs, torrent files, and browser add-ons and extensions. Interstat may also use various misleading marketing tactics to get users to manually install it. It be promoted by aggressive and deceptive advertisements that claim it is a useful tool or force the program to install. As previously mentioned, Interstat will bundle with other unwanted programs and malicious programs.
The program will usually install in this path: C:\Users\botcr_000\AppData\Roaming\Interstat
How to uninstall Interstat from Windows
Follow the instructions to uninstall Interstat and other programs that it may bundle with from your Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 computer. If you do not find Interstat installed on your computer but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files.
1. Open Windows Start or Task menu and go to the Control Panel (or directly to Programs and Features).
2. In the “Programs” section click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove programs).
3. Search for Interstat in the list of installed programs and double click it to uninstall it. You can also select Interstat with your mouse and click the Uninstall button once it appears. Once you have uninstalled Interstat look for other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs and uninstall any if they are found. A general tip is to click “Installed On” to locate any programs that installed around the same time.
If you do not find the program installed in your Control Panel go to Windows Task Manager, find the WeatherForecast (32 bit) process and end the process. Then visit C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Interstat and manually delete all the files in this folder.
How to remove unwanted browser attachments
Follow the instructions to remove Interstat add-ons and extensions, as well as other attachments that it may bundle with from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer & Edge, and Apple Safari. If you do not find a Interstat attachments installed on your internet browser but still notice unwanted symptoms such as pop-up ads while you browse the web it is recommended to use Malwarebytes and HitmanPro to eradicate troublesome files. To remove Interstat from Microsoft internet browsers you must uninstall the program.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Interstat extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the Interstat add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the Interstat extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Interstat with Malwarebytes
Follow the instructions to remove Interstat with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download Malwarebytes[/button]
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
How to remove Interstat with HitmanPro
Follow the instructions to remove Interstat with HitmanPro second-opinion software.
1. Download and install HitmanPro second opinion scanner and removal tool.
[button link=”https://www.cleverbridge.com/747/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdl.surfright.nl%2fHitmanPro.exe” align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Download HitmanPro[/button]
3. Once Hitman Pro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button again to delete any threats or traces on your system.
5. If you are initially using the free version, to activate it, enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
6. Restart your computer by selecting Reboot.
How to clean and repair your computer with CCleaner
Follow the instructions to clean your computer and repair your computer’s settings.
[button link=”https://secure.piriform.com/502/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=https%3a%2f%2fwww.piriform.com%2fccleaner%2fdownload%2fprofessional” align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#0015ff” hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”true”]Download CCleaner[/button]
2. Once installed, open the program and go to the main Cleaner screen and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries. If you find any thing suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Finally, go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
Interstat removal tips
- If you are still having issues removing LuckySave you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.