How To Remove The OneTab Virus – OneTab Add-on And Extension Malware Removal Instructions (Browser Hijacker)
What is OneTab (OneTab Extension, OneTab Virus, OneTab Adware)?
OneTab is malicious software (malware, adware) and a browser attachment, categorized as a browser hijacker that infects computer systems without detection in order to observe user computing and internet activity and generate revenue via third party adware and spyware programs. OneTab and third-party malware infect a computer system and change existing internet browser settings, often causing infected browsers to start-up on and redirect to third-party websites, and/or display in-text and pop-up advertisements, usually from common adware platforms such as Text Enhance.
Victims infected with the OneTab virus, or “OneTab browser hijacker” often complain of third party symptoms before noticing OneTab add-on or extension had attached itself to each browser installed on the system. One victim found that the OneTab add-on had attached to a fresh install Mozilla Firefox without consent and was difficult to remove. In matters where OneTab is difficult to remove, additional software may have installed without permission, including a OneTab Browser Helper Object (BHO) that installs to Windows Operating Systems and Internet Explorer, even if IE is not the default browser.
Onetab File Information (onetab.dll)
File: onetab.dll Product: OneTab Company: OnPageAds Description: OneTAb Add-on Version: 126.96.36.199 MD5: 292675A88750941E32582DEBBD631107 SHA1: E9EC7DA12432AB614C499BC044697FC705912A7A SHA256: 4DBC184FA7E9C10C4107744C2267C017BF1799577B48B2FE8A456FD7E6812290 Size: 69632 Directory: %APPDATA%\OneTab\OneTab.dll Operating System: Windows XP Discovered: Oct 05 2012
How To Remove OneTab And Third Party Malware
The steps below detail how to remove OneTab and third party malware infecting your computer using several different tactics.
1. OneTab Removal Software (Antivirus Scan)
Instructions: 1. Install Malarebytes 2. Update the software 3. Perform full scan(Image).
2. How To Uninstall OneTab (Windows)
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program and find OneTab in the list of installed software. Double click OneTab to uninstall the program, or highlight the program and click the Uninstall button.
Keep in mind, there may be additional third-party software that may need to be removed as well.
3. How To Remove OneTab Add-on And Extension
1. Click Tools and select Add-ons. (Ctrl+Shift+A)
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for OneTab and additional third party add-ons and remove them.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for OneTab and additional third party extensions. Remove the OneTab extension (and third-party Google Chrome extensions) by clicking the trashcan icon adjacent to the add-on/extension/toolbar.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for OneTab and additional third party add-ons. Remove OneTab and any third party add-ons if located.
Alternative Removal Options:
If removing OneTab is difficult to remove or other symptoms need to be assessed, please review alternative OneTab removal options below.
A System Restore is an easy solution to restore an infected computer to a date and time before issues. System Restores can be used to remove software that may have installed without consent.
- To learn more please visit: http://botcrawl.com/how-to-restore-microsoft-windows-vista-microsoft-windows-xp-and-microsoft-windows-7/
Hosts File (Advanced)
If you chose to use Window’s hosts file, add the following IP addresses:
Remove Hijacked Home Page
CCleaner ↔ Install
An alternative recommendation is to use a program such as CCleaner to repair all browser settings at once with productive accuracy.
1. Install CCleaner.
2. Navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
Manually Remove Keepvid.com From Home Page
In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings. Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove any malicious websites and replace with your preferred URL.
In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options. Under the General tab remove any malicious URL from the “Home Page:” field and replace with your preferred home page.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove any malicious URLs from the Home Page field and replace with your preferred URL.
Remove Hijacked Search Engine
CCleaner ↔ Install
1. Install CCleaner.
2. Navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
Manually Remove Keepvid Search Engine
In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to any suspicious search engines including search.snap.do and/or conduit manufactured search engines.
In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove any suspicious search engines from the list by highlighting the selection and clicking remove.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons and remove the malicious search engine from the list.