Freemake Video Downloader (malware)
Freemake Video Downloader is a program categorized as potential malware in the browser hijacker and spyware category. Freemake Video Downloader is promoted as a free online video downloader that can be used to download videos from a variety of websites including YouTube. Freemake Video Downloader is often referred to as the Freemake YouTube Video Downloader, or even the Freemake virus, though the application is not technically a virus.
Freemake Video Downloader raises concerns due to the programs association with third-party malware, the practice of unethical marketing tactics, user entrapment, and relations to cyber crimes involving credit theft, extortion, and identity theft.
Freemake Video Downloader can be downloaded manually and voluntarily but may not detail permissions properly, often causing users to complain of privacy violations. On a minimal scale, users of Freemake software have reported email spam, junk mail (via snail mail), and even telephone calls from telemarketers. In some cases, scam artists and marketers have used information collected by Freemake Video Downloader and third-party items including the initial contact information, names, browser activity and history, and essentially all information manually submitted online.
How does Freemake Video Downloader malware infect a computer?
Freemake Video Downloader installs as software, browser add-on, browser helper object, and extension with our without user consent. The items may be contracted via third-party downloadable content including freeware and shareware distributed by download.com and freemake.com
Remove Freemake Video Downloader
- Automatically remove Freemake Video Downloader – Scan for and automatically remove third-party malware
- Manually remove Freemake Video Downloader – Uninstall Freemake Video Downloader and third-party malware
1. Automatic Freemake Downloader removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove the Freemake Video Downloader hijacker and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall Freemake Video Downloader and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Freemake Video Downloader and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Freemake Video Downloader, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Freemake Downloader removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Freemake Video Downloader and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall Freemake Video Downloader
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Freemake Video Downloader and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Freemake Video Downloader
Use the instructions to remove Freemake Video Downloader add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Freemake Video Downloader extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Freemake Video Downloader add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Freemake Video Downloader add-on and remove it if located.