Update error 8000402
Update error 8000402 is an error displayed by the Windows Operating System. The 8000402 error is caused by a failed Windows update or by interference from a third-party including malware, potentially unwanted programs, and computer viruses. These third-party threats can cause the Update error 8000402 message to occur. A faulty update from Microsoft may also be the reason why this error is shown.
The Update error 8000402 error message is very common with the latest malware. Malware often corrodes a computer system, modifies and removes files, and causes other issues that can be harmful for Windows Operating System. We often notice this update error occur when analyzing machines with the latest malware threats.
The Update error 8000402 message is shown on the manufacture’s boot screen for the desktop/tower or laptop computer. The message is usually shown below the computer’s logo where update statuses are typically displayed.
Update error 8000402 applying update operation 3337 of 69398 (prnmn…)
When an Update error 8000402 message is displayed the computer might fall into a reboot loop and continuously restart from Windows metro/sign in screen to the computer’s boot screen. It will usually restrict or limit user access to Windows before the machine restarts.
Check your computer for malware
Malware often causes the update 8000402 error in Windows Operating Systems. Scanning your computer for malware and removing dangerous malware with Antivirus software or Antimalware software will often fix Update error 8000402. If you are able to sign into your machine this is an easy solutions; However, if the machine will not let you sign in there are other solutions for this error.
- Open your browser window and download Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
- Open the executable file (mb3-setup.exe) to begin installing Malwarebytes.
- Select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install Malwarebytes. Click Finish once the install process is complete.
- Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer.
- Click the Quarantine Selected button once the scan is finished.
- If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
Check your computer for driver updates
Outdated hardware and drivers can cause this error to occur. Check your computer for driver updates and update any out-of-date drivers.
Reset/Recover or refresh your computer
A reset, recovery , refresh, or other option can be used to fix the Update error 8000402 code in Windows Operating Systems. A reset or recovery will reset your computer to factory settings and a refresh will remove all the programs you installed. A refresh will leave documents, pictures, videos, and other files on your hard drive and a reset or recovery will not.
- How to factory reset a Windows PC, laptop or tablet
- How to remove everything and reinstall Windows
- How to recover Windows 10
- How to refresh or reset Windows 10
- How to refresh or reset Windows 8
If you still have issues with the Update error 8000402 error code on your Windows computer it is recommended to seek professional help from a local technician and avoid any information that suggest you modify your system, run commands, or delete system cache. Avoid tech support hotlines and websites that contain difficult and misleading information about this update error. Manually interfering with this error can cause further complications.