How to remove Companion (Adware Removal Guide)
Companion (also searched for as Companion virus) is detected as adware and a potentially unwanted program (PUP) by reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware programs, such as Symantec Norton, AVG, and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Companion adware injects the webpages you visit with targeted-style advertisements that usually say Ads by companion or Brought to you by companion on them.
What is Companion?
“Companion” and adware like it are usually promoted as free web shopping utilities that provide coupons and deals for the products you view on retail websites and search for online. There are a variety of adware type programs and browser plugins that use the word Companion in their title.
Companion adware generates pop-up ads across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Ads by Companion are defined as ‘targeted’ ads because they use your personal browsing information, including the data on the websites you visit, your browser bookmarks, and browser history to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you and your current and past browsing habits.
Companion adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection since it is known to bundle with other unwanted programs and malware. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove Companion if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
Companion and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. Companion is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that Companion adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
[fancy_box title=”Companion overview”]
- Companion adware bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malicious software.
- Companion adware is usually bundled inside third-party freeware installers, download managers, and dubious torrent files distributed by a variety of websites including torrenting websites, and websites such as CNET and Softonic.
- Companion adware injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- Companion adware changes existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks which allow the adware to run every time Windows starts and remain enabled if disabled by the user.
This comprehensive Companion removal guide will help you remove Companion virus and get rid of “Ads by Companion” on Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Edge, and Safari.
Remove Companion (Adware Removal Guide)
- Step 1: Uninstall Companion adware
- Step 2: Scan your computer and remove Companion adware with Malwarebytes
Step 1: Uninstall Companion adware
1. Open Windows Start/Task Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for Companion in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click Companion to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find Companion in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it.[/note]
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Companion extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the Companion add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the Companion extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 2: Scan your computer and remove Companion adware with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “Companion” removal tool[/button]
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing Companion we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove Companion.[/note]
Companion virus removal tips
- If you do not find Companion in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing Companion you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.