How to remove DisableChromeUpdates (Virus Removal)
DisableChromeUpdates (PUM.Security.Hijack.DisableChromeUpdates) is the name of a potentially unwanted modification (PUM) and browser hijacker that hides in the background of an infected computer system and makes unwanted changes to or adds new Windows registry keys, and transforms existing internet browser settings of Google Chrome and sometimes other internet browsers such as Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, and Microsoft Internet Explorer.
If your computer has contracted the “DisableChromeUpdates virus” it is likely that you will experience unwanted browser redirects and advertisements while using internet browsers installed onto your machine. This modification and programs that it bundles with will usually change the homepage, default search engine, and browser shortcut of affected internet browsers in order to cause internet users to redirect to sponsored search engines and webpages. They will also remove synced user settings, remove existing apps and themes, add new apps and themes, as well as modify proxy settings, and make changes to or add other features.
The DisableChromeUpdates hijacker is not technically defined as a computer virus but this browser hijacker and unwanted modification is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove DisableChromeUpdates if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
[fancy_box title=”DisableChromeUpdates overview”]
- DisableChromeUpdates bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- DisableChromeUpdates is usually bundled inside installers and downloaders distributed as dubious torrents or as freeware programs distributed by websites similar to download.com and softonic.com.
- DisableChromeUpdates injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- DisableChromeUpdates makes unwanted changes to existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks which allow it to run every time Windows starts and check to see if the program has been disabled. If the program is disabled it will enable itself.
- PUM.Security.Hijack.DisableChromeUpdates is a detection used by Malwarebytes to identify this unwanted modification.
- PUM.Security.Hijack.DisableChromeUpdates, HKLM\SOFTWARE\POLICIES\GOOGLE\UPDATE [9a809a1d7e0c3cfa5b2b30535ea7ab55] and
PUM.Security.Hijack.DisableChromeUpdates, HKLM\SOFTWARE\WOW6432NODE\POLICIES\GOOGLE\UPDATE, , [8b8febcc8ffb90a6bacca1e2b3525ea2] are known registry keys associated with DisableChromeUpdates.
How to remove DisableChromeUpdates (Removal)
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Option 1: Automatically remove DisableChromeUpdates with Malwarebytes
- Option 2: Manually remove unwanted programs
- Option 3: Call Tech Support 1-888-986-8411
Option 1: Automatically remove DisableChromeUpdates with Malwarebytes
1. We recommend that you write down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues while removing this infection. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems you may face.
2. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download “DisableChromeUpdates” removal tool[/button]
3. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
4. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
5. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
6. When the scan is complete you will notice a list of threats including PUM.Security.Hijack.DisableChromeUpdates. Click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
[note align=”left”]If you are still having issues removing DisableChromeUpdates we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove DisableChromeUpdates.[/note]
Option 2: Manually remove unwanted programs
How to uninstall unwanted programs
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for suspicious unwanted programs in the list of installed programs and select the one you want to uninstall with your mouse, then click Uninstall.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find DisableChromeUpdates in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove DisableChromeUpdates below.[/note]
How to remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find DisableChromeUpdates in your list of add-ons and extensions you may need to remove additional attachments that may have bundled with it. You can view our additional tips to remove DisableChromeUpdates below.[/note]
Tips to remove DisableChromeUpdates
- If you do not find DisableChromeUpdates in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing DisableChromeUpdates you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.
- If you need help our tech support team is standing by 24 hours a day. You can reach tech support at: 1-888-986-8411