What is Tap-Windows?
Tap-Windows by OpenVPN is open-source software for Microsoft Windows that is installed by numerous VPN programs. Depending on your Windows of the version you may encounter different versions of Windows TAP drivers. The Tap-Windows driver is installed in C:/Program Files/Tap-Windows.
Is Tap-Windows safe?
Tap-Windows is not a computer virus nor is the standalone software considered dangerous if it is downloaded from a reputable source; However, the Tap-Windows program may be distributed by malicious VPN software and programs that download malware, adware, spyware, and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs).
If you did not install Tap-Windows it should not be on your computer and may be a sign that your computer is infected with a potential threat. However, keep in mind, the Tap-Windows driver may be automatically installed by numerous legitimate and safe VPN programs.
Malware, adware, spyware, and potential threats associated with Tap-Windows may produce various symptoms on an infected computer including the symptoms listed below:
- Network connectivity issues
- Pop-up advertisements
- Browser redirects
- Poor computer performance and functionality
In addition, some versions of Tap-Windows may be recognized as adware due to reports claiming that the program may be responsible for displaying advertisements.
How to remove Tap-Windows
Tap-Windows can be uninstalled from Windows through the control panel but that won’t remove malware, adware, and other threats that may bundle with Tap-Windows. Since this is the case we recommend that you uninstall Tap-Windows using the standard method and then scan your computer for malware.
This removal guide was designed to help you uninstall Tap-Windows and remove malware, adware, computer viruses, and other threats from your computer.
Step 1: Uninstall Tap-Windows From Windows
Uninstall Tap-Windows from Google Chrome.
1. Right-click the Start menu.
2. Click to Apps and Features.
3. Find Tap-Windows and click the Uninstall button.
Step 2: Use Malwarebytes to Scan for Malware and PUPs
Malwarebytes will remove Tap-Windows, known malware, and PUPs from your computer.
Why should you buy the premium version?
Malwarebytes Premium has real-time protection that automatically protects your computer and other devices from viruses, spyware, and malware. With Malwarebytes Premium you can stay ahead and safely browse the web with confidence.
2. Double click the executable file or icon, such as mb3-setup-1878.1878-220.127.116.1139.exe to begin installing the program.
3. When you have installed Malwarebytes, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning your computer.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
Step 3: Use HitmanPro to Remove Remaining Trace Files
HitmanPro will remove remaining trace files, malware, tracking files, and repair settings.
1. Download HitmanPro. Fill out the information on their website and download the executable file.
Why should you buy the full version?
HitmanPro is a little different than your usual security program. It goes beyond simply removing viruses, it completely eradicates all traces and remnants of the infection. HitmanPro is also designed to run alongside your Antivirus program which makes it a match up great with Malwarebytes Premium.
2. Double click the executable file or icon, such as HitmanPro.exe to begin installing the program.
3. When you have installed HitmanPro, click the Next button to begin scanning your computer.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
Step 4: Use CCleaner to Clean Your System, Maintain Browser Settings, and Update Programs
Use CCleaner to get rid of junk files and temporary files that can remain on your system, maintain browser settings that may have been modified by malware, and update software (if needed) in order to keep your computer up to date with the latest security patches.
Why should you buy the professional version?
CCleaner Professional has the power of real-time automation, so your computer always stays clean, safe, and fast. CCleaner Pro bundles privacy protection, system cleaning, and more with outstanding customer service.
2. Double click the executable file or icon, such as ccsetup556.exe to begin installing the program.
3. When you have installed CCleaner, click the Analyze button to begin analyzing your system.
4. Once analyzation is complete, click the Run Cleaner button to clean your system.
5. Now, let’s run through the Tools section; Go to Tools.
6. Uninstall: Is there a program you missed uninstalling before? CCleaner can often show you programs that are hidden from the Control panel.
7. Software Updater: Are there any programs to update? Make sure to keep the programs on your computer up-to-date to avoid issues with security vulnerabilities.
8. Startup: Go through the Windows, Scheduled Tasks, and Context Menu tabs. Are there any suspicious startup keys enabled? If so, highlight them with your mouse and click the Delete button to remove them.
9. Browser Plugins: Go through the tabs for each browser installed on your computer. Are there any suspicious plugins installed? If so, highlight them with your mouse and click the Delete button to remove them.
10. Finally, let’s clean up the registry. Get out of the Tools area and go to Registry.
11. Click the Scan for Issues button and follow the instructions.
12. Once the registry scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues… button and follow the instructions to fill all the selected issues found in your computer’s registry.