How to remove searchgeniusapp.com (Virus Removal Guide)
Searchgeniusapp.com virus is a browser hijacker infection associated with malicious browser extensions including the Genius App and Genius Search extensions for Google Chrome web browser. The website itself is primarily used to track what people search for online when they conduct a search in their web browsers.
When a search is performed the infected browser will initially redirect to https://searchgeniusapp.com/?p= and then to a real search engine such as bing.com. The website intercepts the searched keyword and then directs the user to Bing or another search engine like Yahoo.
As somewhat previously mentioned, the website uses numerous browser add-ons and extensions to obtain the appropriate permissions it needs to hijack an internet browser’s settings and retain browsing data. Browser add-ons and extensions associated with the searchgeniusapp.com virus will have permissions that allow them to read and modify existing settings and data.
In addition, programs and browser extensions associated with the searchgeniusapp.com website may be recognized as malware or potentially malicious for numerous reasons.
Searchgeniusapp.com virus removal steps
- Use Malwarebytes to remove Searchgeniusapp.com
- Use HitmanPro to remove Searchgeniusapp.com
- Use CCleaner to automatically clean up and fix settings
- Check for rogue browser extensions
Use Malwarebytes to remove Searchgeniusapp.com
2. When you have installed Malwarebytes, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning your computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot your computer.
Use HitmanPro to remove Searchgeniusapp.com
2. When you have installed HitmanPro, click the Next button to begin scanning your computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
4. Reboot your computer.
Use CCleaner to automatically clean up and fix settings
2. When you have installed CCleaner, click the Analyze button to begin analyzing your system.
3. Once analyzation is complete, click the Run Cleaner button to clean your system.
4. Now, let’s run through the Tools section; Go to Tools.
5. Uninstall: Is there a program you missed uninstalling before? CCleaner can often show you programs that are hidden from the Control panel.
6. Software Updater: Are there any programs to update? Make sure to keep the programs on your computer up-to-date to avoid issues with security vulnerabilities.
7. Startup: Go through the Windows, Scheduled Tasks, and Context Menu tabs. Are there any suspicious startup keys enabled? If so, highlight them with your mouse and click the Delete button to remove them.
8. Browser Plugins: Go through the tabs for each browser installed on your computer. Are there any suspicious plugins installed? If so, highlight them with your mouse and click the Delete button to remove them.
9. Finally, let’s clean up the registry. Get out of the Tools area and go to Registry.
10. Click the Scan for Issues button and follow the instructions.
11. Once the registry scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues… button and follow the instructions to fill all the selected issues found in your computer’s registry.
Check for rogue browser extensions
1. Open Google Chrome.
2. In the menu, go to More tools > Extensions.
3. Find the Searchgeniusapp.com extension and click the Remove button.