Search Guards is an internet browser extension compatible with Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox web browsers. The Search Guards extension is self-described as a free and user-friendly browser plugin that can keep web searches private. However, that’s incorrect because once the Search Guards extension is installed it will track the things you search for online.
Search Guards replaces the current homepage, new tab page, and/or default search setting with feed.search-guards.com or another search-guards.com site. When a search is performed in the Omnibox the browser will redirect to feed.search-guards.com and then to search.yahoo.com. This is done in order to track the things you search for online and generate revenue from promoted search content.
The feed.search-guards.com extension has permission to read and change your data on search-guards.com and www.search-guards.com which allows it to see what you search for online. It also her permission to read your browsing history, change your home page to search-guards.com, and change your search settings to search-guards.com. The Search Guards extension may also perform other actions that are harder to locate. To find a complete list of permissions launch Google Chrome, open the menu, go to More tools > Extensions, and click the Details button near the Search Guards extension to find more information.
How to remove Search Guards
This tutorial provides removal steps to remove the Search Guards extension, fix your browser settings, and remove all traces of malware from your PC. This tutorial is designed to be easy to follow, yet detailed to help victims completely get rid of malware, unwanted programs, and repair settings that may have been affected.
Step 1: Remove malware and PUPs
Malwarebytes will remove known malware and Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) from your computer and mobile device.
Why should you buy the premium version?
Malwarebytes Premium has real-time protection that automatically protects your computer and other devices from viruses, spyware, and malware. With Malwarebytes Premium you can stay ahead and safely browse the web with confidence.
2. Double click the executable file or icon, such as mb3-setup-1878.1878-188.8.131.5239.exe to begin installing the program.
3. When you have installed Malwarebytes, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning your computer.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
Step 2: Remove remaining files
HitmanPro will remove remaining trace files, malware, tracking files, and repair settings.
1. Download HitmanPro. Fill out the information on their website and download the executable file.
Why should you buy the full version?
HitmanPro is a little different than your usual security program. It goes beyond simply removing viruses, it completely eradicates all traces and remnants of the infection. HitmanPro is also designed to run alongside your Antivirus program which makes it a match up great with Malwarebytes Premium.
2. Double click the executable file or icon, such as HitmanPro.exe to begin installing the program.
3. When you have installed HitmanPro, click the Next button to begin scanning your computer.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
Step 3: Clean up and repair settings
Use CCleaner to get rid of junk files and temporary files that can remain on your system, maintain browser settings that may have been modified by malware, and update software (if needed) in order to keep your computer up to date with the latest security patches.
Why should you buy the professional version?
CCleaner Professional has the power of real-time automation, so your computer always stays clean, safe, and fast. CCleaner Pro bundles privacy protection, system cleaning, and more with outstanding customer service.
2. Double click the executable file or icon, such as ccsetup556.exe to begin installing the program.
3. When you have installed CCleaner, click the Analyze button to begin analyzing your system.
4. Once analyzation is complete, click the Run Cleaner button to clean your system.
5. Now, let’s run through the Tools section; Go to Tools.
6. Uninstall: Is there a program you missed uninstalling before? CCleaner can often show you programs that are hidden from the Control panel.
7. Software Updater: Are there any programs to update? Make sure to keep the programs on your computer up-to-date to avoid issues with security vulnerabilities.
8. Startup: Go through the Windows, Scheduled Tasks, and Context Menu tabs. Are there any suspicious startup keys enabled? If so, highlight them with your mouse and click the Delete button to remove them.
9. Browser Plugins: Go through the tabs for each browser installed on your computer. Are there any suspicious plugins installed? If so, highlight them with your mouse and click the Delete button to remove them.
10. Finally, let’s clean up the registry. Get out of the Tools area and go to Registry.
11. Click the Scan for Issues button and follow the instructions.
12. Once the registry scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues… button and follow the instructions to fill all the selected issues found in your computer’s registry.
Step 4: Check if the extension was removed
Once your computer is clean, ensure that all ‘bad’ extensions have been removed from Google Chrome and other web browsers.
1. Launch Google Chrome.
2. Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions.
3. Find unfamiliar browser extensions, research them, and click the Remove button if they raise suspicion.