How to uninstall PC Scan & Repair by Reimage from your computer
- PC Scan & Repair by Reimage is detected as malware or potentially unwanted program by many Antivirus programs.
- PC Scan & Repair by Reimage utilizes deceptive and misleading marketing practices.
- PC Scan & Repair by Reimage terminates important Windows processes when it is installed.
- Learn how to remove PC Scan & Repair by Reimage from your computer and keep your computer protected from future cyber threats.
PC Scan & Repair by Reimage is a program compatible with Microsoft Windows operating systems including Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. The name PC Scan & Repair by Reimage comes from the name of the desktop icon dropped on Windows desktop when the Reimage Repair program is installed.
PC Scan & Repair by Reimage is promoted as a tool that can revive the life of your computer, restore your computer’s performance, recover Windows with fresh files, remove malware from your computer, and more. However, Reimage has a bad past and the PC Scan & Repair by Reimage program is detected as malware and a potentially unwanted program (PUP) by multiple Antivirus engines.
Detected as malware
As previously mentioned, PC Scan & Repair by Reimage is recognized as malware by multiple Antivirus engines. According to VirusTotal, the ReimageRepair executable file used to install PC Scan & Repair by Reimage is detected by AhnLab-V3 as PUP/Win32.Reimage.C2919701, by AVG as FileRepMalware, by CAT-QuickHeal as Trojan.Reimage, by Cyren as W32/Trojan.YCAK-0261, by DrWeb as Program.Unwanted.1470, by ESET-NOD32 as a variant of Win32/ReImageRepair.K potentially unwanted, by K7AntiVirus as Riskware ( 0040eff71 ), by K7GW as Riskware ( 0040eff71 ), by Kaspersky as HEUR:Hoax.Win32.PCRepair.gen, by Malwarebytes as PUP.Optional.Reimage, by Microsoft as PUA:Win32/Reimage, and by ZoneAlarm as HEUR:Hoax.Win32.PCRepair.gen.
Deceptive and misleading marketing practices
PC Scan & Repair by Reimage utilizes deceptive, misleading, and possibly dishonest marketing practices in order to promote their program and obtain customers.
The PC Scan & Repair by Reimage program is typically advertised by malicious or questionable advertising networks that mostly display advertisements for programs and browser attachments that are considered malicious, potentially unwanted or an are known to invade your privacy. Due to this, Reimage uses advertisements to promote PC Scan & Repair by Reimage that may be deceptive and misleading. A webpage or advertisement advertising PC Scan & Repair by Reimage may claim that your computer is infected with malware and viruses or that your computer system needs to be updated although none of this is true.
One particular example of this is a full-page advertisement that opens up in a new tab in your browser and begins to performs a fake computer scan. When the fake scan is complete it will show you a fake Microsoft Security Warning claiming your computer is infected with malware and computer viruses. The solution provided by the fake scan to remove the malicious files it found on your computer is to download and install PC Scan & Repair by Reimage.
Terminates important services
When PC Scan & Repair by Reimage is installed it is known to terminate services that most Windows-based programs use. This can make programs fail to start and cause your computer to function improperly. One process terminated by PC Scan & Repair by Reimage is wmiprvse.exe which is a Windows feature that provides a standardized method for software and administrative scripts to request information about the state of your Windows operating system and data on it.
How to remove PC Scan & Repair by Reimage
1. Right-click the Start Menu and go to Apps and Features.
2. Find PC Reimage Repair in the list of installed programs, click it with your mouse, and click the Uninstall button that appears. This will uninstall the program, but not all files will actually be removed from your computer.
3. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to scan your computer and remove malicious files and potentially unwanted programs.
4. To install the program, locate and double-click the executable file you just downloaded. The file can usually be found in the Download folder.
5. Choose if this is for home or work use and click Agree and Install to begin installing Malwarebytes. Once the installation is complete, click Finish.
6. Once Malwarebytes is installed, open the program and click the Scan Now button on the dashboard – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
7. When the scan is complete click the Quarantine Selected button.
8. If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
9. Download HitmanPro to perform a second-opinion scan and remove any remaining malicious trace files. A second-opinion scan is important when removing malware and malicious files from your computer.
10. To install the program, locate and double-click the executable file you just downloaded. The file can usually be found in the Download folder.
11. Once HitmanPro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may choose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
12. When the HitmanPro scan is complete, click the Next button.
13. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
14. Click the Reboot button.
How to protect your computer
Once you have uninstalled PC Scan & Repair by Reimage and scanned your computer for malware with Malwarebytes and HitmanPro, consider these best practices to ensure that your computer is protected from future threats.
Use Antivirus with real-time protection
Antivirus program with real-time protection can stop emerging threats and hackers from gaining access to your computer or mobile device. Antivirus programs can remove malicious files that are already on your computer, prevent your programs from being used against you, protect you from malicious websites, and stop known and unknown ransomware attacks.
- Malwarebytes (Malwarebytes is an Antimalware program that can be used alongside Antivirus programs)
- Norton Security Deluxe
- AVG Internet Security Unlimited
Use a VPN
A VPN creates a private tunnel to keep the eyes of eavesdroppers and hackers away from your private data while you browse the web. With a VPN, you become anonymous and no one can determine who you are. Your data is encrypted and your web activity cannot be tracked.
Ignore email messages from people you don’t recognize
Ignore email messages from people you do not recognize or are not expecting a message from to avoid malware from spreading onto your computer or mobile device. Email messages often contain malicious links and attachments that can be harmful to your computer. In fact, email spam is one of the most common ways that malware is spread.
We hope you found this guide to remove PC Scan & Repair by Reimage and other threats from your computer useful. If you liked this post, make sure to share it! If you still need help feel free to leave a comment or create a topic in our Cybersecurity forum.