How to remove PUP.Optional.Reimage
What is PUP.Optional.Reimage?
PUP.Optional.Reimage is a detection used by Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software (including Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free) to identify a potentially unwanted program (PUP) named Reimage (Reimage Repair) and all files associated with the program.
If Malwarebytes has detected PUP.Optional.Reimage it means that your computer has become infected with the potentially unwanted program, a file associated with the program (such as ReimageRepair.exe), and other possible threats.
The potentially unwanted program is promoted as a security tool for Windows. According to VirusTotal, the program is detected by multiple Antivirus programs as a threat. The community also marks the program as unsafe and claim that if you “try to run it on vm (virtual machine) and you will get “bad results” even if you just installed this.”
PUP.Optional.Reimage is known to bundle with other PUPs, adware, spyware, and malware. Performing a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software should remove the threat; However, it is recommended to use HitmanPro to remove remaining trace files and repair other issues.
How did it get on my computer?
PUP.Optional.Reimage is known to utilize unethical and deceptive advertising methods to persuade users to install and eventually purchase the program. Third-party download managers, Trojan downloaders, and other downloadable content often promote the program as a custom or advanced install. They will give you the option to accept or decline the program. In some cases, a third-party downloader will ignore the request to deny the program from installing and it will install without user consent or knowledge.
The PUP.Optional.Reimage program is also promoted on blogs that claim to provide help with removing unwanted programs, malware, adware, and other similar objects. They will advertise Reimage as a program that can help you rid your computer of the infection. In turn, the program will employ methods to make it appear as if your computer has more issues than it really does in order to provoke you to purchase the program.
It is important to avoid installing free programs online that offer this program and websites that advertise the program because they are usually not safe.
How to remove PUP.Optional.Reimage
The PUP.Optional.Reimage removal steps on this page will remove PUP.Optional.Reimage, viruses, malware, and other threats from your computer.
2. Open the executable file (mb3-setup.exe or other) to begin installing Malwarebytes.
3. Select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install Malwarebytes. Click Finish once the install process is complete. *Some versions of the program use a different installation format.
4. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer.
5. Click the Quarantine Selected button once the scan is finished.
6. If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
7. Open your browser window and download HitmanPro.
8. Open the executable file (hitmanpro_x64.exe or hitmanpro_x32.exe) to begin installing HitmanPro.
9. Click the Next button, check “I accept the terms of the license agreement,” and click the Next button again.
10. On the Setup page select “Yes, create a copy of HitmanPro so I can regularly scan this computer (recommended)” and add your email address to the registration fields to begin the free trial.
11. Click Next to begin scanning your computer.
12. Once the Scan results are displayed click the Next button and click the Next button again on the Removal results page.
14. Open the executable file (ccsetup.exe or other) to begin installing CCleaner.
15. Click the Install button to begin stalling the program.
16. Click Run CCleaner to open the program when installation is complete.
17. Select the Cleaner tab and click the Analyze button.
18. When the Analyze process is complete click the Run Cleaner button to clean all files.
19. Next, select the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button to scan for issues in your registry.
20. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues button and Fix All Selected Issues button to fix the issues.
21. Next, select the Tools tab and click Startup. Examine each area, search for suspicious entries, and delete any suspicious startup entries by selecting the entry and clicking the Delete button.
22. Next, click Browser Plugins and search each internet browser for unwanted browser add-ons and extensions. Click the extension you want to delete and click the Delete button to remove it.
Your computer should now be free of potentially unwanted programs, malware, and other threats. If you have any issues please leave a comment in the comment section below.