How to remove DivX Browser Bar Toolbar – DivX “Malware” removal instructions (Uninstall guide)
What is DivX Browser Bar Toolbar (DivX)?
DivX Browser Bar Toolbar (DivX Toolbar) is a questionable browser helper object, add-on, and extension for popular internet browsers including Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer developed and owned by the Rovi Corporation. DivX Browser Bar Toolbar is legitimate, but many consider the toolbar unsafe due to privacy concerns which allow DivX Browser Bar Toolbar and Rovi full access to users complete computing and browsing activity. DivX Browser Bar Toolbar may also bundle with and install additional unwanted items including Conduit Toolbar.
Many consider DivX Browser Bar Toolbar malware, and for general purpose DivX Browser Bar Toolbar will be included in the browser hijacker category. DivX Browser Bar Toolbar has been reported to install to user’s systems and attach to internet browsers without consent. DivX Browser Bar Toolbar has also been reported to cause unwanted redirections to third-party websites such as search.conduit.com.
Privacy concerns with DivX Browser Bar Toolbar are in relations to the information and user data the Toolbar and third-parties collect. Rovi, the developer and owner of DivX Browser Bar Toolbar claims “you grant Rovi and all other users of the Rovi Property an irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, nonexclusive license to use, reproduce, combine, modify, distribute, transmit, display, perform, adapt, sell and publish such content on an unrestricted basis for any purpose.” This remark and various user reports can conclude that DivX Browser Bar Toolbar may include users to marketing and mailing lists without consent. Users have complained of excessive email spam, junk mail, and even telephone calls from telemarketers concerning recent browser or computing activity.
Is DivX (Div Browser Bar Toolbar) safe to download?
DivX software including DivX Plus Converter, DivX Plus Player, DivX Plus Web Player, and DivX Plus Codec Pack are safe to download.
- DivX Browser Bar Toolbar is not recommended due to privacy concerns and complications removing the add-on and extension.
Does DivX install malware, viruses?
How did DivX Browser Bar Toolbar get on my computer?
DivX Browser Bar Toolbar installs alongside DivX products/downloads from divx.com and other websites. During the installation process users will give users the opportunity to opt out of installing DivX Browser Bar and other software, including Search Protect by Conduit.
If you noticed DivX Browser Bar Toolbar installed to your computer system and browser without consent, it is likely due to bypassing the notification during the DivX software installment. It should also be noted that CNET’s download.com may aggressively place unwanted malware with this downloadable item.
It should be noted that in many reports, including our independent research, DivX software may install the DivX Browser Bar Toolbar and third-party items even if prompted not to (offer declined). This may be seen as an unethical tactic that may entrap users to terms they would not likely agree with if presented with in a proper manner.
How to remove DivX Browser Bar Toolbar
- Automatically remove DivX Browser Bar Toolbar malware – Scan for and automatically remove DivX Browser Bar Toolbar related third-party malware
- Manually remove DivX Browser Bar Toolbar – Remove/Uninstall DivX Browser Bar Toolbar software and third-party malware
1. Automatic DivX Browser Bar Toolbar removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove the DivX Browser Bar Toolbar hijacker and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your home page, default search engine, browser shortcuts, and other altered settings.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall DivX Browser Bar Toolbar and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall DivX Browser Bar Toolbar and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for DivX Browser Bar Toolbar, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual DivX Browser Bar Toolbar removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall DivX Browser Bar Toolbar and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
How to uninstall DivX Browser Bar Toolbar
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs, search for DivX Browser Bar Toolbar and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove DivX Browser Bar Toolbar add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove DivX Browser Bar Toolbar add-ons, extensions, and plug-ins. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party titles.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the DivX Browser Bar Toolbar extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the DivX Browser Bar Toolbar add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the DivX Browser Bar Toolbar add-on and remove it if located.