How to remove EasySearch from your browser
EasySearch is a Google Chrome extension that changes your default search provider to blpsearch.com. When you search the web using Chrome’s address bar your search will redirect to blpsearch.com and then to search.yahoo.com.
The reason why the EasySearch extension changes your default search provider to blpsearch.com and then forwards the actual search query to search.yahoo.com is to track what you’re searching for online and generate revenue from advertisements and sponsored search content on yahoo.com. Many potentially malicious internet browsers do this and Yahoo doesn’t do anything to stop them.
To protect your privacy and your computer it is recommended to avoid installing browser extensions, programs, and applications you are unfamiliar with. Some extensions, programs, and apps can basically see everything you’re doing online, figure out your identity by tracking you and your social media activities, harvest your data, and take control of your web browser.
What is done with the data collected about you is unknown; However, what is known based on the history of data usage is that your data will be sold to unknown parties and used for unknown purposes.
Follow these instructions to remove the EasySearch extension from Google Chrome and scan your computer for malware that may have been introduced to your machine:
1. Open the Customize and control Google Chrome menu and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Find the EasySearch extension and click the Remove button to remove it.
3. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to scan your computer and remove malicious files and potentially unwanted programs.
4. To install the program, locate and double-click the executable file you just downloaded. The file can usually be found in the Download folder.
5. Choose if this is for home or work use and click Agree and Install to begin installing Malwarebytes. Once the installation is complete, click Finish.
6. Once Malwarebytes is installed, open the program and click the Scan Now button on the dashboard – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
7. When the scan is complete click the Quarantine Selected button.
8. If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
9. Download HitmanPro to perform a second-opinion scan and remove any remaining malicious trace files. A second-opinion scan is important when removing malware and malicious files from your computer.
10. To install the program, locate and double-click the executable file you just downloaded. The file can usually be found in the Download folder.
11. Once HitmanPro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may choose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
12. When the HitmanPro scan is complete, click the Next button.
13. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
14. Click the Reboot button.