How to remove the EasyZipTab extension
EasyZipTab is a Google Chrome extension that is promoted as a free tool that “offers links to zipping and unzipping your files.” However, the extension is not exactly free to use. You end up paying the use the browser extension by forfeiting your personal information and browsing activities.
The EasyZipTab extension can gather sensitive information about you and modify your existing internet browser settings which allow the extension to track what you’re doing and searching for online. The EasyZipTab extension has permissions set which allow it to read and change all your data on the websites you visit, replace the page you see when opening a new tab, display notifications, manage your downloads, and manage your apps, extensions, and themes.
To protect your privacy and your computer it is recommended to avoid installing browser extensions, programs, and applications you are not familiar with. Some extensions, programs, and apps can basically see everything you’re doing, figure out who you are, harvest your data, and take control of your web browser.
Data harvesting is a lucrative business. What is done with the data collected about you is unknown, but be assured that your data will be sold to unknown parties (including advertisers and scammers) and used to build a marketing profile on you.
Here’s how to remove the extension from Google Chrome and scan your computer for malware that may have been introduced to your machine alongside the extension.
1. Open the Customize and control Google Chrome menu and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Find the EasyZipTab extension and click the Remove button to remove it.
3. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to scan your computer and remove malicious files and potentially unwanted programs.
4. To install the program, locate and double-click the executable file you just downloaded. The file can usually be found in the Download folder.
5. Choose if this is for home or work use and click Agree and Install to begin installing Malwarebytes. Once the installation is complete, click Finish.
6. Once Malwarebytes is installed, open the program and click the Scan Now button on the dashboard – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
7. When the scan is complete click the Quarantine Selected button.
8. If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
9. Download HitmanPro to perform a second-opinion scan and remove any remaining malicious trace files. A second-opinion scan is important when removing malware and malicious files from your computer.
10. To install the program, locate and double-click the executable file you just downloaded. The file can usually be found in the Download folder.
11. Once HitmanPro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may choose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
12. When the HitmanPro scan is complete, click the Next button.
13. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
14. Click the Reboot button.