APP is a potentially malicious browser extension that invades your privacy, changes your internet browser settings, and bundles with malware and viruses.
Table of Contents
What is APP?
APP is a browser extension for Google Chrome and other popular web browsers that can read and change your data on the sites you visit and read your browsing history. Once the APP extension is installed it will change the default search engine to a new website in order to intercept what you search for online. For example, when you search the web using the address bar your search results will be redirected to another website such as lp.sstonline.xyz and then you will be forwarded to Google, Yahoo, or Bing.
The primary function of the APP extension is to intercept and obtain what users search for online. As previously mentioned, the extension has permission to read and change data on the sites you visit and read your browsing history; However, the extension can also do this while your browser is in incognito mode.
In addition, the APP extension is developed by the same entity that has published such browser add-ons and extensions as Power App and Genius Search. All of these apps are recognized as potentially malicious and deceptive.
Advertised with malware and viruses
Another issue with the APP extension is that it is advertised alongside malware, adware, spyware, and computer viruses. The APP extension utilizes malicious and deceptive advertising networks to display aggressive advertisements. The advertising network will also show advertisements promoting malware and other threats. This is a concern because it could mean that your computer is infected with malware due to how the APP extension is distributed and promoted.
How to remove APP (Virus Removal Guide)
Like most browser extensions, the APP extension can be removed through internet browser settings. However, removing the extension through the settings will not remove malware, adware, spyware, viruses, and other threats from an infected computer. To remove malware from an infected computer, we recommend scanning the computer with a reputable security program such as Malwarebytes Premium or Malwarebytes Free. Follow the free removal guide on this page to remove the APP extension and use reputable antivirus software to remove malware from your computer.
How to remove the APP extension
1. Open the menu and go to More tools > Extensions
2. Click the Remove button
1. Open the menu and go to Add-ons
2. Click the Remove button
How to remove malware and viruses
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning the computer.
3. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
4. Reboot the computer.
5. Once the computer is rebooted, download and install HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert to perform a second-opinion scan and remove the remaining malware (if applicable). To download the executable file, fill out the information on their website (name and email address) and click submit.
6. Once HitmanPro is installed, click the Next button to begin scanning the computer.
7. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
How to remove tracking files and repair Windows registry
2. Once CCleaner is installed, go to the Easy Clean tab.
3. Click the Analyze button to find trackers and junk files that CCleaner can remove.
4. When the analysis is complete, click the Clean All button.
5. Next, go to the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button.
6. When the scan is complete, click the Fix selected Issues… button.
7. As a precaution, click Yes to back up the registry before making changes to it and save the Reg File (.reg) file to your computer.
8. Click the Fix All Selected Issues button and then click Close once all problems have been removed.