How to remove Trovi (Virus Removal Guide)
The Trovi.com virus is a term used to identify a questionable search engine associated with potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) and malware that are categorized as a browser hijackers. The Trovi virus affects the Microsoft Windows operating system and attaches to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and extension in order to perform unwanted activities.
The Trovi.com add-on and extension or third-party item such as Search Protect malware used to promote www.trovi.com transforms existing internet browser settings, including the home page (start page) and internal browser search engine (default, managed, and provided search engines). This causes corrupted internet browsers to redirect to http://www.trovi.com/, search.conduit.com, and other websites, as well as start-up on Trovi search engine when users open a new browser window or browser tab.
Once software used to promote the Trovi.com redirect virus is installed, the application will begin to replace existing internet browser settings, install additional software, and collect sensitive user information, including browser history and data manually submitted online such as your name, home address, telephone number, email address, browser activity and history, and more.
If software that causes your internet browser to redirect to http://www.trovi.com is installed on your computer system and attached to your internet browser it is likely that other unwanted programs and malware may have been contracted alongside the initial threat. Additional items may need to be removed to stop all unwanted activities.
The Trovi virus may redirect users to additional websites such as bing.com and is not considered a legitimate standalone search engine. Search results displayed by the search engine contain suspicious sponsored links and website results.
Items used to promote the Trovi.com virus can be manually and voluntarily installed from a variety of questionable websites including download.com; however, Trovi primarily bundles with freeware and shareware, including aggressive installers that do not allow the user to cancel download.
Some users are given the opportunity to accept or decline an offer to install unwanted software and change their home page and search engine to the Trovi.com search engine, but the request to decline the offer is often ignored or represented in a confusing manner by the developer or distributor.
How to remove Trovi (Virus Removal Guide)
This Trovi removal guide will help you completely remove Trovi virus and other malware from your computer to stop unwanted browser redirects to trovi.com and other websites.
Step 1: Scan your computer for malware
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the Anti-Malware program. Malwarebytes may automatically begin to update and scan your computer at this point.
4. Once Malwarebytes has been opened, if a scan or update has not automatically initiated, please click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan. Before the scan is started Malwarebytes may ask to update the software, make sure to do so if prompted to.
5. Once the scan is complete, click the Quarantine All button to isolate and remove the detected files. You may be asked to reboot your computer after removal to completely remove detected files.
6. You can chose to visit the History tab and click Delete All to remove these files from the Quarantine log, although these files no longer provide a threat.
Step 2: Clean up and repair settings
1. Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface. This will clean up unnecessary junk that may have been introduced to your computer.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from Windows, Internet Explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything you do not recognize is found. This will help you locate and remove unwanted browser attachments and repair other settings.
Step 3: Manually uninstall Trovi
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to access the Windows 8 Start Menu).
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for suspicious programs that may have recently installed. Once an unwanted program is located, double click it or select the program in the list with your mouse pointer and click the Uninstall button.
Step 4: Manually remove Trovi browser attachments
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Trovi extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Trovi add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Trovi add-on, click it, and click the Remove button.
Step 5: Remove Trovi.com Search Engine
- In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove Trovi search engine from the list of search providers by highlighting the selections and clicking remove.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons > Search Providers and remove Trovi search engine from the list.
- In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to Trovi search engine to remove it.
Please note, If http://www.trovi.com/ is set as Google Chrome’s default search engine, add (or select) a new search engine (such as Google.com) and select the new search engine as the default search engine, then remove the unwanted search engine by clicking the X next to it.
Step 6: Remove Trovi.com Homepage
- In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options or click Firefox in the top left corner and click Options > Options. Under the General tab remove Trovi.com from the “Home Page:” field and replace it with your preferred home page URL.
- In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove Trovi.com from the Home Page field and replace it with your preferred URL.
- In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings.Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove Trovi.com and replace it with your preferred homepage URL.