Driver Update virus
The Driver Update virus (also found as the DriverUpdate virus, DriverUpdate by SlimWare Utilities Inc. virus) is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) or potential malware found in the scareware (rogue software) and spyware categories of computer infections.
Driver Update is promoted as a free download that allows users to scan for driver errors and driver updates. However Driver Update malware has been reported to display misleading scan results in order to get users to purchase their software. In a study, every scan we initiated resulted with “out of date drivers” even though the drivers were up-to-date. It should also be noted that updating your drivers are free and there is really no need to purchase software to do this for you.
DriverUpdate is also an ad-supported program that displays advertisements across Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Furthermore, Driver Update scareware displays pop-up notifications on Windows Desktop, often claiming that updates are available.
Although Driver Update is not technically a computer virus by definition, this program has been reported to utilize aggressive and/or unethical marketing practices in order to collect user information and potentially generate customers.
For example. DriverUpdate software may claim that the out-of-date or missing drivers it detected in a scan can can cause problems, system slowdowns, and bluescreen errors when this may not be the case.
Many users have claimed that DriverUpdate installed to their computer running the Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 Operating Systems without their direct consent or knowledge.
Driver Update, alike many programs found to be unethical brandishes the Microsoft Gold Certified Partner logo. It should be noted that this logo is not an endorsement from Microsoft and that even you can get one of these certifications. These certifications are also defined to a geographic location, meaning the certification may only be valid in 1 country (and usually not the country it’s promoted in). This certification may also not include the software, but only the company name.
How does the Driver Update virus get onto a computer?
Driver Update is often accidentally installed alongside freeware and shareware found on websites such as download.com. A user is often given an offer to accept or decline installing this unwanted software; however, the offer may be presented in a very confusing manner or install without permission.
Driver Update can also be found on the company website, as well as third-party advertisements and email spam links.
How to remove the Driver Update virus
- Automatically remove Driver Update virus - Scan for and automatically remove rogue Driver Update software
- Manually remove Driver Update virus - Remove/Uninstall Driver Update and third-party malware if allowed
- For Tech Support - Call 1-888-986-8411 and they will kindly assist you with removing this infection
1. Automatic Driver Update removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Driver Update scareware and third-party malware.
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
3. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
4. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
5. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall stubborn and rogue Driver Update software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found. Something to look for might include the title “DriverUpdate or SlimWare.”
4. To automatically uninstall rogue Driver Update software and unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and located software in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the programs as selected.
2. Manual Driver Update removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Driver Update software using generic removal procedures (if allowed), as well as third-party malware that may have installed alongside rogue Windows optimization software.
How to uninstall Driver Update
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. Search for DriverUpdate by SlimWare Utilities Inc. and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.