Driver Update virus
Driver Update (also called Driver Update virus, DriverUpdate virus, DriverUpdate by SlimWare Utilities Inc. virus) is a term used to identify a Windows system utility program that is recognized as a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and malware by reputable security programs.
Driver Update is self-advertised as a free download that allows users to scan for driver errors and driver updates. However, Driver Update malware has been reported to display misleading scan results in order to get users to purchase their software. In a study, every scan we initiated resulted with “out of date drivers” even though the drivers were up-to-date. It should also be noted that updating your drivers are free and there is really no need to purchase software to do this for you.
DriverUpdate is also an ad-supported program that displays advertisements across Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer. Furthermore, Driver Update scareware displays pop-up notifications on Windows Desktop, often claiming that updates are available.
Although Driver Update is not technically a computer virus by definition, this program has been reported to utilize aggressive and/or unethical marketing practices in order to collect user information and potentially generate customers.
For example. DriverUpdate software may claim that the out-of-date or missing drivers it detected in a scan can cause problems, system slowdowns, and bluescreen errors when this may not be the case.
Many users have claimed that DriverUpdate installed to their computer running the Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 Operating Systems without their direct consent or knowledge.
Driver Update, alike many programs found to be unethical brandishes the Microsoft Gold Certified Partner logo. It should be noted that this logo is not an endorsement from Microsoft and that even you can get one of these certifications. These certifications are also defined to a geographic location, meaning the certification may only be valid in 1 country (and usually not the country it’s promoted in). This certification may also not include the software, but only the company name.
How to remove Driver Update
Step 1: Remove Driver Update with Malwarebytes
Malwarebytes will remove Driver Update, known malware, and other PUPs from your computer.
Why should you buy the premium version?
Malwarebytes Premium has real-time protection that automatically protects your computer and other devices from viruses, spyware, and malware. With Malwarebytes Premium you can stay ahead and safely browse the web with confidence.
2. Double click the executable file or icon, such as mb3-setup-1878.1878-184.108.40.20639.exe to begin installing the program.
3. When you have installed Malwarebytes, click the Scan Now button to begin scanning your computer.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Quarantine Selected button to remove all threats detected by Malwarebytes.
Step 2: Remove remaining files with HitmanPro
HitmanPro will remove remaining trace files, malware, tracking files, and repair settings.
1. Download HitmanPro. Fill out the information on their website and download the executable file.
Why should you buy the full version?
HitmanPro is a little different than your usual security program. It goes beyond simply removing viruses, it completely eradicates all traces and remnants of the infection. HitmanPro is also designed to run alongside your Antivirus program which makes it a match up great with Malwarebytes Premium.
2. Double click the executable file or icon, such as HitmanPro.exe to begin installing the program.
3. When you have installed HitmanPro, click the Next button to begin scanning your computer.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button to remove all threats detected by HitmanPro.
Step 3: Fix browser and system settings with CCleaner
Use CCleaner to get rid of junk files and temporary files that can remain on your system, maintain browser settings that may have been modified by malware, and update software (if needed) in order to keep your computer up to date with the latest security patches.
Why should you buy the professional version?
CCleaner Professional has the power of real-time automation, so your computer always stays clean, safe, and fast. CCleaner Pro bundles privacy protection, system cleaning, and more with outstanding customer service.
2. Double click the executable file or icon, such as ccsetup556.exe to begin installing the program.
3. When you have installed CCleaner, click the Analyze button to begin analyzing your system.
4. Once analyzation is complete, click the Run Cleaner button to clean your system.
5. Now, let’s run through the Tools section; Go to Tools.
6. Uninstall: Is there a program you missed uninstalling before? CCleaner can often show you programs that are hidden from the Control panel.
7. Software Updater: Are there any programs to update? Make sure to keep the programs on your computer up-to-date to avoid issues with security vulnerabilities.
8. Startup: Go through the Windows, Scheduled Tasks, and Context Menu tabs. Are there any suspicious startup keys enabled? If so, highlight them with your mouse and click the Delete button to remove them.
9. Browser Plugins: Go through the tabs for each browser installed on your computer. Are there any suspicious plugins installed? If so, highlight them with your mouse and click the Delete button to remove them.
10. Finally, let’s clean up the registry. Get out of the Tools area and go to Registry.
11. Click the Scan for Issues button and follow the instructions.
12. Once the registry scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues… button and follow the instructions to fill all the selected issues found in your computer’s registry.
Step 4: Uninstall Driver Update from Windows
Uninstall Driver Update from Windows once you have removed malware from your PC.
1. Right-click the Start menu.
2. Click to Apps and Features.
3. Find Driver Update and click the Uninstall button.