How to remove PlayFree Browser (Virus Removal Guide)
PlayFree Browser (also searched for as PlayFree Browser virus) is a potentially unwanted program, or PUP, and browser plugin that hijacks and essentially modifies your internet browser settings, including the homepage, startpage, and new tab and causes your internet browser to redirect to home.playfree.org, search.playfree.org, and other webpages.
- What is PlayFree Browser?
- How to uninstall PlayFree Browser
- How to remove PlayFree Browser with Malwarebytes
- PlayFree Browser removal tips
What is PlayFree Browser?
PlayFree Browser adware is typically self-promoted as a free alternative web browser that gives you free access to hundreds of
the best casual games of different genres. It claims to be lightning fast, secure, and allow you to install and launch games in one click.
If you install PlayFree Browser it will change your existing internet browser settings to home.playfree.org and serve advertisements to you while you browse the web. Ads by PlayFree Browser displays ‘targeted’ style advertisements. This means that the program will manufacture advertisements based off of your personal browsing data, such as your bookmarks and history.
PlayFree Browser is not technically defined as a computer virus but this potentially unwanted program is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove PlayFree Browser if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
PlayFree Browser and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. PlayFree Browser is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that PlayFree Browser may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
- PlayFree Browser bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
- PlayFree Browser is usually bundled inside third-party freeware installers, download managers, and dubious torrent files.
- PlayFree Browser injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- PlayFree Browser changes existing internet browser settings and causes affected internet browsers to start-up on and redirect to home.playfree.org and other webpages.
- PlayFree Browser changes existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks allowing the adware to run every time Windows starts.
How to uninstall PlayFree Browser
1. Open Windows Start/Task Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for PlayFree Browser in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click PlayFree Browser to uninstall it.
[note align=”left”]If you do not find PlayFree Browser in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it.[/note]
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the PlayFree Browser extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the PlayFree Browser add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the PlayFree Browser extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove PlayFree Browser with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
[button link=”https://store.malwarebytes.org/342/cookie?affiliate=23046&redirectto=http%3a%2f%2fdownloads.malwarebytes.org%2ffile%2fmbam%2f&redirecthash=79CD12ECAB939D32967B5D05C6C86E32″ align=”center” bgcolor=”#ff0000″ hoverbgcolor=”#c71414″ hovertextcolor=”#ffffff” textcolor=”#ffffff” size=”large” style=”flat” fullwidth=”false”]Download Malwarebytes[/button]
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
PlayFree Browser removal tips
- If you do not find PlayFree Browser in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing PlayFree Browser you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.