How to remove DeskBar (Virus Removal Guide)
DeskBar (also searched for as Deskbar virus) is detected as adware and a potentially unwanted program (PUP) by reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware programs. Deskbar has a few noticeable symptoms. It can affect a computer’s functionality and performance, it will display a bar on top of Windows desktop that says “Search the web” on it, and it injects the webpages you visit with user-targeted advertisements. Ads displayed by this adware will usually say Ads by Deskbar, Deskbar Ads, or brought by Deskbar on them.
What is DeskBar?
Deskbar is typically promoted as a free web shopping companion and desktop utility that can help you find online coupons and deals related to products you view and search for.
Potential Deskbar malware generates pop-up ads across Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. Ads by Deskbar are defined as ‘targeted’ ads because they use your personal browsing information (including all your data on the websites you visit) to produce advertisements it feels you are most likely to click on. The adware basically ‘targets’ you and your current and past browsing habits.
Deskbar adware is not technically defined as a computer virus but this adware is still a threat to your privacy and can be the sign of a severe malware infection. The internet security community strongly recommends that you remove Deskbar if you find it installed on your machine or attached to your internet browser as a browser add-on or extension and use reputable Antivirus or Anti-Malware software to eradicate any existing malicious files.
Deskbar and programs like it are usually contracted without knowledge. Deskbar is often bundled inside third-party software downloaders and bundlers. It may arrive on a computer system once other programs have been introduced to the machine. Software that Deskbar adware may bundle with includes freeware, shareware, and dubious torrent files.
- DeskBar adware bundles with other potentially unwanted programs and malware, including BrowserAir, www-searching.com, and Search Module.
- DeskBar adware is usually bundled inside third-party freeware installers, download managers, and dubious torrent files.
- DeskBar adware injects visited webpages with pop-up and in-text advertisements.
- DeskBar adware changes existing Windows settings and schedules new tasks allowing the adware to run every time Windows starts.
- DeskBar is difficult to uninstall. Often, there is no option to manually uninstall this program and it will not appear in Windows Control Panel. Instead, users are forced to uninstall DeskBar using the uninsatll000.exe file found here: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\DeskBar
This comprehensive DeskBar removal guide will help you remove DeskBar virus from your PC and get rid of ads by DeskBar on Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari.
DeskBa Removal Guide
Step 1: Uninstall Deskbar
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program (or Add and remove program) in the Programs section.
3. Search for Deskbar in the list of installed programs and select it with your mouse, then click Uninstall. You can also double click Deskbar to uninstall it.
If you do not find Deskbar in your list of installed program you may need to uninstall additional programs that may have bundled with it.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Deskbar extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the Deskbar add-on and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the Deskbar extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
Step 2: Scan your computer and remove Deskbar with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
2. Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software once it has finished installing.
3. Make sure that Malwarebytes has been updated. To ensure it is updated click Update Now on the Dashboard.
4. Click the large Scan Now button on the dashboard to perform a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software.
5. When the scan is complete click the Remove Selected button and then click the Finish button or restart your computer if Malwarebytes suggests that you do so.
If you are still having issues removing Deskbar we suggest that use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3 to locate and remove any computer infection that may be present. You may also proceed to option 2 below and view our additional tips to remove Deskbar.
Deskbar virus removal tips
- If you do not find Deskbar in your list of installed programs you may need to uninstall additional programs. Additional programs may include suspicious titles that may have been contracted around the same time or after the initial infection.
- If you are still having issues removing Deskbar you should use a second opinion scanner such as HitmanPro 3. HitmanPro 3 is the best second opinion scan and removal tool. It can be used to locate and remove remaining threats.