How to remove Wajam (Virus Removal Guide)
The Wajam virus (also known as Wajam Search virus) is a deceptive potentially unwanted program (PUP) and adware that often gets installed without user knowledge. Wajam is known to generate a wide variety of pop-up advertisements across Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer. It also causes browser redirects to search.wajam.com, wajam.com, search.wajam.com/search/results?keywords=, and other webpages.
Wajam may also redirect users to www.wajam.com/user/all/feed, which is essentially a static page that displays the users Facebook feed and allows users to search the Wajam website.
Wajam installs to a Windows computer and attaches browser add-ons and extensions to popular internet browsers. It also installs rogue Facebook application to Facebook accounts that are logged in.
The program is also known to change existing settings of Microsoft Windows and affected internet browsers, as well as Facebook. This causes unwanted browser redirects to search.wajam.com and other webpages.
The program and it’s attachments are also known to be very intrusive. The Wajam extension for Google Chrome has permission to access all the data on your computer and the websites you visit and the Facebook app collects personal data including browsing history, activity, Facebook activity, friend’s Facebook activities (including what your friends search for, like, and websites they visit).
How to remove Wajam (Removal Guide)
[list style=”pointer” color=”red”]
- Step 1: Remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
- Step 2: Remove unwanted add-ons and extensions
- Step 3: Uninstall Wajam
- Step 4: Remove Wajam malware with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Step 5: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner by Piriform
Step 1: Remove Wajam Facebook App
1. Login to Facebook select Settings.
2. On the left sidebar click Apps.
3. To remove the Wajam Facebook App, locate Wajam and click the X on the far right side.
4. When prompted by the Remove Wajam window, check the box that says Delete all your Wajam activity on Facebook and click the Remove button.
Step 2: Remove Wajam add-ons and extensions
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon on the top menu and navigate to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for suspicious extensions in the list. Remove unwanted browser extensions individually by clicking the trashcan icon next to each one.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. Search for suspicious add-ons on the Extensions and Plugin tab. Highlight each one individually and click remove.
Step 3: Uninstall Wajam
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. On Windows Control Panel, click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program in the Programs section.
3. Search for Wajam and other unwanted programs in the list of installed programs. Once an unwanted program is located, double click the item or select it with your mouse and click the Uninstall button.
Step 4: Remove Wajam malware with Malwarebytes
1. Download and install the free or full version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The full version enables real-time protection to block malware and unwanted programs from infecting your computer, while the free version is just a free scan and removal tool.
2. Open the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program.
3. Click the large Scan Now button or visit the “Scan” tab to manually run a scan.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, click the Remove Selected button and reboot your computer.
Step 5: Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Download and install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.Download CCleaner Free Buy Professional Now
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.