How to block magento-crew.net referrer spam in Google Analytics
Magento-crew.net is a questionable website that engages in a blackhat SEO tactic known as referrer spam in order to promote itself and acquire potential customers. The website will utilize several different URLs that forward to it such as magento-developer.net. The spam URLs are designed to mix deceptive web data into your Google Analytics account in order to aggressively gain your attention and provoke you to visit the website or search for it online. Magento-crew.net referral traffic and referrals from URLs that forward to it are not essentially harmful to your website and the way it appears in Google Search Results Pages, but it can ruin your website’s appropriate data measured in Google Analytics reports such as your bounce rate and time on site.
Magento-crew.net referrer spam and referrer spam from other URLs such as googlemare.com is becoming a big issue and hot topic of discussion for many webmasters, website owners, and anyone who values their website’s appropriate data. Unwanted magento-crew.net referral traffic can ruin your website’s analytical data. For example, the spam URL usually appears to land on a single webpage on your website and leave from the same webpage which can interfere with your appropriate bounce rate. This is not the only Google Analytics data that magento-crew.net referral spam can ruin. It can basically mix deceptive web data into everything provided in Audience, Acquisition, and Behavior reports.
Spammers target the referral traffic of your website for several reasons:
- Referrer spammers want to promote a website and want you to visit the webpage or search for it online through Google search engine results pages.
- Referrer spammers want to boost their rank on Google search engine results pages by creating backlinks. They do this by logging requests into your website’s access log, which is then crawled by Google’s indexing bots and seen as a backlink to the spam site.
In some cases referrer spam may use up your website’s bandwidth and CPU by creating multiple site requests to your website. In other cases, the spam URL is served to your analytical data with ghost traffic and never actually land on your website.
How to block magento-crew.net
This guide shows you how to block magento-crew.net referrer spam in Google Analytics by creating an exclude filter to stop magento-crew.net referral traffic at the campaign source.
1. Open your Google Analytics account and go to the Admin tab and click All Filters.
2. Click the ADD FILTER button to create a new exclude filter.
3. Add magento-crew.net or something you can remember as the Filter Name.
4. Select the Custom Filter Type.
5. In Filter Field, find and select Campaign Source in the list. In the Filter Pattern text box, add magento-crew.net and click the blue Save button on the bottom of the webpage. To add multiple address including ones that forward to this website make the Filter Pattern like this: example.com | magento-crew.net | magento-developer.net