How to remove the Pokki virus – Removal instructions (Uninstall Guide)
Pokki virus (start menu, apps)
Pokki is a potentially unwanted program categorized as malware in the adware and spyware category that (utilizes browser hijackers and) installs to a Microsoft Windows Operating System with or without user consent, but also partners with PC manufacturers including Lenovo and will come preloaded on some computer systems and causes many problems for computer users. Pokki malware may download and install as a browser add-on, browser helper object (BHO), and add-on on Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer, as well as freeware under the titles “Pokki” and “Pokki Download Helper.”
Once Pokki malware is installed the item may boot every time Windows is started and has the ability to “hijack” or take-over the windows task bar (Pokki attempts to add or replace the Windows 7 and Windows 8 task bar and start menu). In some cases the Pokki virus causes Windows task bar to lock and makes it difficult to navigate to important locations on a computer system. The Pokki icon placed on Windows task bar is often locked and does not respond to being clicked. This can make it very difficult to uninstall Pokki and other programs as directions to Windows uninstaller or access to Windows uninstaller is compromised or changed. If this is the case it may be necessary to right click the task bar and remove Pokki Toolbar to access a Windows Operating System properly (video below).
Cyber crimes relating to the spyware category include credit theft, extortion, and identity theft. Though these crimes are rare, you are at risk of calling victim to serious privacy crimes if spyware or unethical software is installed on your computer and attached to your internet browsers.
Pokki may also corrupt internet browser settings of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer, changing the browser’s homepage and internet search engines, causing unwanted browser redirects to websites such as search.conduit.com. Pokki malware may also allow third-party browser hijackers and apps to install without consent, change browser settings, and collect personal information (permissions).
Though Pokki may appear as a legitimate and trustworthy item used to add or replace the Windows start menu, add apps to your computer, and more, the potentially unwanted program has more issues than value and is not recommended by security experts and passed users.
Pokki is promoted by questionable tech websites including TechCrunch. The primary objective of these websites (blogs) including the TechCrunch website is to generate money using exotic techniques such as producing press releases for unwanted programs; therefor their analysis on such products is entirely irrelevant, misleading, and harmful.
Pokki and relating items may displays and prompt unwanted advertisements including pop-up, pop-under, in-text, and others. Pokki advertisements and promotions may also appear on the Pokki start menu and appear when users are offline. It should be noted that independent apps provided by Pokki have separate permissions which may cause further complications.
How does the Pokki virus get onto a computer?
The Pokki virus (though not technically a computer virus) can get onto a computer alongside third-party downloadable content including freeware and shareware as many distributors and developers, including PC manufacturers such as Lenovo bundle the item in order to generate revenue despite the unethical techniques and tasks operated by the unwanted program.
Pokki and the Pokki Download Helper can also be manually and voluntarily downloaded and installed from a variety of websites including download.com and
How to remove the Pokki virus
- Automatically remove Pokki virus – Scan for and automatically remove Pokki software and third-party malware
- Manually remove Pokki virus – Remove/Uninstall Pokki promoted software and third-party malware (if necessary)
1. Automatic Pokki virus removal
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Pokki and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
1. Install the free or paid version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
2. Once Malwarebytes is installed, run the program. If you are using the free version of Malwarebytes you will be prompted to update the database, make sure to do so.
3. On the first tab labeled “Scanner” select the Perform full scan option and click the Scan button to perform a full system scan. Malwarebytes will automatically detect malware infecting the computer system.
4. Once the malware scan is complete, Malwarebytes may prompt a notice stating malicious objects were detected. Select the malicious objects and click the Remove Selected button to completely remove the malicious files from your computer (the image below shows a file that is NOT selected) or click the Delete button to remove quarantined files.
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings startup up settings, and uninstall Pokki, Pokki helper, and associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or paid version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Pokki, Pokki Download Helper, and other unwanted programs, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Pokki, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manual Pokki virus removal
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Pokki and third-party software using generic Microsoft Windows removal procedures.
- If you can not access Windows Uninstaller, please see the video further above to disable Pokki Toolbar and access the start menu appropriately or navigate to User > AppData > Local > Pokki > Engine and click the Uninstall file.
How to uninstall Pokki – Pokki Download Helper
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Pokki, Pokki Download Helper, and other potentially unwanted software. Once located, double click the unwanted programs or highlight them in the list and click the Uninstall button.
How to remove Pokki add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions to remove Pokki Toolbar add-ons, extensions, plug-ins, and toolbars. Please note, it may be necessary to remove multiple third-party items.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Pokki extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to them.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Pokki add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Pokki add-on and remove it if located.