What Is Keepvid (Keepvid Virus, Keepvid.com)?
Keepvid is an unethical Windows .NET application and program related to Ilivid Media, referred to as the Keepvid virus or Keepvid browser hijacker, that allows users to download or “keep” streaming videos from websites such as Dailymotion, 4shared, 5min, 9you, AlterVideo.net, Aniboom, blip.tv, Break, Clipfish.de, Clipser, Clip.vn, CollegeHumor, Cracked, Current, dekhona.com, DivxStage.eu, eHow, eBaumsWorld, Ensonhaber, Facebook, Flickr, Flukiest, FunnyJunk, FunnyOrDie, FunnyPlace.org, Metacafe, MySpace, Ning, Photobucket, RuTube, SoundCloud, Stagevu, TED, Tudou, TwitVid, VBOX7, videobb, VideoWeed.es, Veoh, Vimeo, and zShare.net.
The downside to using Keepvid is that the program changes existing internet browser settings without permission, entrapping victims to their terms, which may include additional installments of adware and spyware software. The Keepvid program also hijacks home page and default search engine settings, causing redirections to keepvid.com, search.keepvid.com, and other domains.
The Keepvid application can be voluntarily installed from a variety of sources including keepvid.com where this is a ‘KEEPVID Bookmarklet‘ at the top of the page that allows users to drag script into their browser that will attach Keepvid and other software. Keepvid is also distributed by third party websites, but most victims infected with the Keepvid virus complain that the program installed without consent, often bundled with third party malware and software including freeware, shareware, and torrents or codecs used to watch videos online.
How To Remove Keepvid And Third Party Malware
The 3 options below detail how to remove Keepvid and third party malware from your computer using reputable software, Uninstall Keepvid and third party programs, and repair internet browser settings.
Additional alternative options are included after the 3 primary removal options.
1. Antivirus / Anti-Malware Software (Keepvid Removal Software)
Instructions: 1. Install Malarebytes 2. Update the software 3. Perform full scan (Image).
2. How To Uninstall Keepvid And Third Party Programs
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program and find Keepvid in the list of installed software. Double click Keepvid to uninstall the program, or highlight the program and click the Uninstall button (the image below is a third party application).
3. Repair Internet Browser Settings
Remove Keepvid.com From Home Page
CCleaner ↔ Install
An alternative recommendation is to use a program such as CCleaner to repair all browser settings at once with productive accuracy.
1. Install CCleaner.
2. Navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
Manually Remove Keepvid.com From Home Page
In Google Chrome click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings. Click “Set pages” under the On startup option. Remove any malicious websites and replace with your preferred URL.
In Mozilla Firefox navigate to Tools > Options. Under the General tab remove any malicious URL from the “Home Page:” field and replace with your preferred home page.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools >Internet Options. Remove any malicious URLs from the Home Page field and replace with your preferred URL.
Remove Keepvid.com/Search From Provided Search Engine
CCleaner ↔ Install
1. Install CCleaner.
2. Navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
Manually Remove Keepvid Search Engine
In Google Chrome, click the customize icon (wrench or 3 bars) and navigate to Settings > Manage search engines… click the X next to any suspicious search engines including search.snap.do and/or conduit manufactured search engines.
In Mozilla Firefox, click the small search magnify glass near the search box (not url/search field) and click “Manage Search Engines…”. Remove any suspicious search engines from the list by highlighting the selection and clicking remove.
In Microsoft Internet Explorer navigate to Tools > Manage Add Ons and remove the malicious search engine from the list.
Alternative Removal Options:
A System Restore is an easy solution to restore an infected computer to a date and time before issues.
- To learn more please visit: http://botcrawl.com/how-to-restore-microsoft-windows-vista-microsoft-windows-xp-and-microsoft-windows-7/
Hosts File (Advanced)
If you chose to use Window’s hosts file, add the following IP address: