Learn what email@example.com is, how to remove the ransomware from your computer, and how to recover files encrypted by the computer virus.
What is firstname.lastname@example.org?
email@example.com is an email address and file extension used by a variant of Scarab ransomware that encrypts files on a computer using AES grade encryption algorithms and affixes a new file extension to the encrypted files. The ransomware will then produce a text file named HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILES.TXT (or other) on the desktop and every folder it encrypted files in.
firstname.lastname@example.org uses the HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILES.TXT file to explain what happened to the files on the computer and how to make a payment to decrypt them. The note insists that you write an email to them.
How to remove email@example.com
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to scan your computer and remove malicious files and potentially unwanted programs.
2. To install the program, click the file you just downloaded. It can usually be located in the Download folder.
3. A window that says “Welcome to the Malwarebytes Setup Wizard” will appear. Click Agree and Install to begin the installation. Once complete, click Finish.
4. Now the Malwarebytes is installed, open the program and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
5. When the scan is complete click the Quarantine Selected button.
6. If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
7. Next, Download HitmanPro to perform a second-opinion scan and remove any remaining malicious trace files.
8. Once installed, open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
9. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
10. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
11. Click the Reboot button.
File Recovery Software
|Shadow Explorer||Restores lost or damaged files from Shadow Copies||Download (Free)|
|Photorec||Recovers lost files||Download (Free)|
|Recuva||Recovers lost files||Download (Free) | Buy|
Alternative methods are suggested if there are issues removing firstname.lastname@example.org ransomware from an infected computer.
How to Restore your computer
If a restore point has previously been established on your machine you will be able to perform a system restore in order to restore your machine to a date and time before it was infected. You will lose files on your computer that were obtained prior to the restore point.
There are several options to restore your computer. Most computers have their own restore software that can be found by performing a search. Additionally, computers that run the Windows Operating System have a default restore program that can also be found by performing a search.
A boot screen that can be used to access options to restore your computer can be reached by rebooting your computer and pressing the F8 key once the manufacture screen is displayed.
How to Recover your computer to factory settings
A system recovery (or reset) will recover your computer to factory settings. You will lose the current programs and files on your computer.
There are several options to recover your computer to factory settings. Most computers have their own recovery software that can be found by performing a search. Additionally, computers that run the Windows Operating System have a default recovery program that can also be found by performing a search.