What is We are all Pokemons?
We are all Pokemons virus is a term used to identify a computer encryption virus that encrypts the files on your computer using AES encryption, adds a new file extension to the files it encrypts, displays a ransom note/lock screen, and plays audio while the lock screen is showing. The We are all Pokemons virus has also been called the Pokemon Go virus because the lock screen contains an image of Pikachu, plays Pokemon audio, and utilizes other Pokemon related content.
We are all Pokemons ransomware will additionally leave various note files (.txt, .html) in every folder it encrypts files in as well as Windows Desktop. The note files contain a ransom note that explains what happened to the affected files and how to pay a ransom via Bitcoins in order to acquire a key to decode the compromised files. The note may suggest that users email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to get a wallet address.
Once a computer becomes infected with We are all Pokemons ransomware it will encrypt files, change the file names to something random, and replace Windows Desktop Wallpaper with an image of a ransom note. It will also dump files in every folder it encrypts files in that contain a ransom note. The note can additionally be used as a lock screen that restricts access to the infected computer.
Lock screen / ransom note example
Pokemon We are all Pokemons YOUR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, DATABASES AND OTHER IMPORTANT FILES HAVE BEEN ENCRYPTED AND A UNIQUE UNLOCK KEY IS GENERATED !! YOU CAN ONLY UNLOCK YOUR FILES BY BUYING THIS KEY FROM US, THERE IS NO OTHER WAY TO SAVE OR UNLOCK YOUR FILES !! HOW TO UNLOCK MY FILES ? You need to send 2 Bitcoins to our Bitcoin Wallet address. To get the Wallet address contact us at : firstname.lastname@example.org WE RECOMMEND TO BUY BITCOINS HERE : WWW.LOCALBITCOINS.COM Register and buy Bitcoins with PayPal, Skrill or find someone who sells Bitcoins Locally by entering your City and select CASH in person as Your paying option. TO SAVE TIME YOU CAN GIVE THE SELLER OUR BITCOIN ADDRESS AND HE CAN SEND THE BITCOINS TO US DIRECTLY. AFTER WE RECEIVE THE PAYMENT WE WILL SEND YOU THE UNLOCK KEY TO THE EMAIL YOU CONTACTED US FROM. ** Act fast because ALL YOUR FILES WILL BE DELETED IN 96h ** ** IF YOU DELETE THIS PROGRAM ALL YOUR FILES WILL BE DELETED FOREVER **
Not much is known how this malware will be distributed. However, ransomware like the We are all Pokemons virus is usually dispersed by malicious email attachments. The email content employs social engineering in order to trick unsuspecting victims into downloading a file under the guise that it is something it is not. Once the file is manually executed by the user ransomware will begin to advance on the computer system and carry through it’s various functions.
The ransomware file may also claim to be a free Pokemon Go download in order to trick unsuspecting victims into installing it.
Aliases: We are all Pokemons virus, We are all Pokemons ransomware, Pokemon Go virus, DetoxCrypto virus
How to remove We are all Pokemons virus
2. Run the program and start the Recuva Wizard.
3. Select All Files and click Next.
4. Select a file location. Click I’m not sure to search everywhere on your computer.
5. Click Start.
6. Select All Files with your mouse and click the Recover button. If you cannot restore your files with Recuva we recommend to try using Shadow Explorer to restore your files.
7. Download and Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to detect and remove malicious files from your computer.
8. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
9. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
10. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
11. Download and Install HitmanPro by Surfright to perform a second-opinion scan.
12. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
13. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
14. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
15. Click the Reboot button.
16. Download and Install CCleaner by Piriform to cleanup junk files, repair your registry, and manage settings that may have been changed.
17. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
18. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
19. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow common online guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they spread across your computer. These programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals.
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know