Ultimate Gamer is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and adware that primarily changes the homepage, new tab setting, and default search engine of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari to ultimategamer.info.
|Name(s)||Ultimate Gamer, Ultimate Gamer virus|
|Detection Categories||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Publisher Description||Find your favorite gaming sites (PC Gamer, Games Pot, IGN and more) in an Instant!.|
|Symptoms||The user may experience unwanted advertisements and redirects to ultimategamer.info in the web browser.|
|Removal Tool||Download Malware Removal Tool (Malwarebytes)|
What is Ultimate Gamer?
Ultimate Gamer is a browser extension and website by Client Connect LTD that claims to help you find your favorite gaming sites in an instant. The extension will take over your homepage, new tab page, and search engine in order to cause your affected browser to start up on and redirect to ultimategamer.info. On the ultimategamer.info webpage there will be links to various third-party websites in a toolbar at the top of the page.
The Ultimate Gamer extension for Google Chrome has permission to read and change all your data on the websites you visit and change your search settings to: ultimategamer.info.
This type of browser extension can collect your personal browsing data and use it for third-party purposes. Users can expect unwanted email spam, junk mail at home, and even phone calls from telemarketers, robocallers, and scam artists.
This type of browser extension is also promoted alongside third-party threats that can cause additional issues. If you found that the Ultimate Gamer extension has been installed without your consent it is likely that malware and other threats exist on your system.
- Advertisements in the web browser.
- Redirects to sponsored webpages.
- Slow and sluggish computer and internet.
Ultimate Gamer Removal Guide
Follow the steps in this Ultimate Gamer removal guide to remove the Ultimate Gamer extension, malware, and other threats to stop browser redirects to Ultimate Gamer websites.
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall Ultimate Gamer and unwanted programs
- Remove Ultimate Gamer and unwanted browser add-ons
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
The first step to remove Ultimate Gamer is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
The second step to remove Ultimate Gamer is to download and install a second opinion scanner called HitmanPro by Surfright in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall Ultimate Gamer and unwanted programs
The third step to remove Ultimate Gamer is to uninstall Ultimate Gamer and other unwanted programs in Windows Control Panel.
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for Ultimate Gamer in the list and double click Ultimate Gamer to uninstall Ultimate Gamer.
4. Once you have uninstalled Ultimate Gamer search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove Ultimate Gamer and unwanted browser add-ons
The fourth step to remove Ultimate Gamer is to remove unwanted browser add-ons and extensions from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
The fifth step to remove Ultimate Gamer is to download and install CCleaner by Piriform in order to delete leftover junk files, tracking cookies, registry entries, unwanted start-up tasks, and more.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.