What is System Garbage Cleanup?
System Garbage Cleanup (also known as Quick_cleaner) is recognized as a potentially unwanted program (or PUP) by top security programs such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. The program claims that it can clean a computer of temporary and garbage files in order to free up space. When the program is launched, it will extract a batch file called C:\Windows\Cleared.bat, which will delete several temp files and other unnecessary files on the machine.
A major issue with System Garbage Cleanup is that it transmits information to a suspicious remote site once it is installed. It is not clear what information is being sent to the site and whether commands can be sent back to be executed. The site that is connected to is:
Usually, programs like this that connect to remove sites will send information about you to the site for advertising purposes. However, it is unknown why this program is connecting to the remote site at this time.
The System Garbage Cleanup program is usually advertised on websites that also advertise malware, adware, spyware, computer viruses, and other malicious threats. Websites that contain prohibited content such as video streams, torrents, and pornography will utilize unethical adverting networks that will bolster this program and other threats at the same time. This means that if you found System Garbage Cleanup installed on your computer without your knowledge it is likely that your computer is also infected with other unwanted programs, malware, and major security threats.
Follow the System Garbage Cleanup removal instructions on this page to remove System Garbage Cleanup, viruses, malware, and other threats from your computer.
1. Uninstall System Garbage Cleanup from Windows
- Right-click Windows start menu and select Programs and Features or open the start menu and go to the Control Panel and click Uninstall a program.
- Find the program you want to uninstall in the list of installed programs and double-click it to begin the uninstall process.
2. Remove System Garbage Cleanup with Malwarebytes
- Open your browser window and download Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
- Open the executable file (mb3-setup.exe) to begin installing Malwarebytes.
- Select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install Malwarebytes. Click Finish once the install process is complete.
- Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer.
- Click the Quarantine Selected button once the scan is finished.
- If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
3. Remove System Garbage Cleanup with HitmanPro
- Open your browser window and download HitmanPro.
- Open the executable file (hitmanpro_x64.exe or hitmanpro_x32.exe) to begin installing HitmanPro.
- Click the Next button, check “I accept the terms of the license agreement,” and click the Next button again.
- On the Setup page select “Yes, create a copy of HitmanPro so I can regularly scan this computer (recommended)” and add your email address to the registration fields to begin the free trial.
- Click Next to begin scanning your computer.
- Once the Scan results are displayed click the Next button and click the Next button again on the Removal results page.
4. Clean up and fix issues with CCleaner
- Open your browser window and download CCleaner Professional or CCleaner Free.
- Open the executable file (ccsetup.exe or other) to begin installing CCleaner.
- Click the Install button to begin stalling the program.
- Click Run CCleaner to open the program when installation is complete.
- Select the Cleaner tab and click the Analyze button.
- When the Analyze process is complete click the Run Cleaner button to clean all files.
- Next, select the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button to scan for issues in your registry.
- When the scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues button and Fix All Selected Issues button to fix the issues.
- Next, select the Tools tab and click Startup. Examine each area, search for suspicious entries, and delete any suspicious startup entries by selecting the entry and clicking the Delete button.
- Next, click Browser Plugins and search each internet browser for unwanted browser add-ons and extensions. Click the extension you want to delete and click the Delete button to remove it.