SmartShoppy adware servers deceptive advertisements across multiple web browsers. If you are infected with SmartShoppy adware you will notice various advertisements inside your browser window. The advertisements may appear on any website you view online. In some cases, the adware will open a new Internet Explorer window (even if it is not your default browser) with a full-page advertisement.
A concern with the SmartShoppy adware is that the adware usually bundles with potentially unwanted programs, malware, and malicious threats. If you found this adware on your computer without manually installing it then it is likely that your computer is infected with malware that you should remove immediately.
Downloading free objects online, such as freeware and torrent files can result in potentially unwanted programs, adware, and malware infecting the user’s system. Even if a program is well known and trustworthy like Google Chrome, if you download it from a malicious site or by using an untrustworthy download manager it can lead to a computer infection.
Removing SmartShoppy from your computer immediately is strongly suggested. You should do this as soon as possible. This program has a bad online reputation and may be the sign of a more serious computer infection. To completely remove SmartShoppy and other threats from your computer use the removal guide below.
Alias: SmartShoppy virus
SmartShoppy Removal Guide
1. Download and Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to detect and remove malicious files from your computer.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
5. Download and Install HitmanPro by Surfright to perform a second-opinion scan.
6. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
7. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
8. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
9. Click the Reboot button.
10. Download and Install CCleaner by Piriform to cleanup junk files, repair your registry, and manage settings that may have been changed.
11. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
12. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
13. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
- How to change your Google Chrome homepage
- How to change your Google Chrome search engine
- How to remove extensions from Chrome
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox homepage
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Firefox
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer homepage
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Internet Explorer
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow common online guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they spread across your computer. These programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals.
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know