Web Updater is recognized by reputable security products and vendors as adware that utilizes deceptive marketing tactics and serves pop-up ads, in-text ads, and banners on the webpages you visit. Web Updater advertisements may appear as coupons and deals for the products you view or search for online. Once this adware is installed it will read and modify browser settings and inject the webpages you visit with “targeted” style advertisements.
|Name(s)||Web Updater, Web Updater virus|
|Detection Categories||Adware, Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)|
|Short Description||Web Updater is promoted as a free program update utility.|
|Symptoms||The user may experience unwanted advertisements and redirects in the web browser.|
|Common Path||C:\Program Files (x86)|
|Removal Tool||Download Malware Removal Tool (Malwarebytes)|
What is Web Updater?
Web Updater is promoted by third-party distribution websites, advertisements, download managers, and software bundlers as a free program update utility.
- Advertisements in the web browser
- Redirects to sponsored webpages
- Slow and sluggish computer and internet
Web Updater Removal Guide
Follow the steps in this Web Updater removal guide to remove “Web Updater virus,” malware, ads by Web Updater, and other threats from your PC and internet browser.
- Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
- Scan your computer with HitmanPro
- Uninstall Web Updater and unwanted programs
- Remove Web Updater and unwanted browser add-ons
- Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
1. Scan your computer with Malwarebytes
The first step to remove this program is to download and install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
2. Scan your computer with HitmanPro
The second step to remove this program is to download and install a second opinion scanner called HitmanPro by Surfright in order to perform a full system scan for malicious files.
2. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
3. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
4. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
5. Click the Reboot button.
3. Uninstall Web Updater and unwanted programs
The third step to remove this program is to uninstall Web Updater and other unwanted programs in Windows Control Panel.
1. Open Windows Start Menu and go to the Control Panel.
2. In the Programs section click Uninstall a program. In earlier versions of Windows this is listed as “Add and remove programs.”
3. Search for Web Updater in the list and double click it.
4. Once you have uninstalled Web Updater search for other unwanted programs that may be installed on your computer and uninstall them as well.
4. Remove Web Updater and unwanted browser add-ons
The fourth step to remove this program is to remove unwanted browser add-ons and extensions from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet Explorer, and Apple Safari.
1. Click the Customize and control Google Chrome icon and go to More tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the trashcan icon.
1. Open the Menu and click Add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on and click Remove.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Go to Tools (Alt+X) and click Manage add-ons.
2. Search for the unwanted add-on in the list, select it with your mouse, and click Remove.
1. Go to Safari > Preferences > Extensions.
2. Search for the unwanted extension in the list and click the Uninstall button.
5. Cleanup and repair settings with CCleaner
The fifth step to remove this program is to download and install CCleaner by Piriform in order to delete leftover junk files, tracking cookies, registry entries, unwanted start-up tasks, and more.
2. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
3. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
4. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.