What is Slmgr32.exe?
Slmgr32.exe is recognized as a Trojan that utilizes a victim’s computer resources to mine for digital currency called Monero. First, an autostart that loads an executable named mfds.exe is loaded. Then a miner that connects to nangopool.com is launched in order to mine for Monero.
The Slmgr32.exe Monero Miner is essentially difficult to identify once it has infected a machine. The most common ways to notice the Miner has infected a computer are to recognize 2 processes running in Windows Task Manager. You will see a process named slmgr32.exe using 90%+ of the CPU and a process named mfds.exe running in task manager. You might also notice your computer’s functionality has drastically decreased.
One of the biggest concerns with the extension is that Slmgr32.exe is typically advertised by questionable advertising networks and on websites that also promote malware, adware, spyware, and other malicious threats. This means that if you found the Slmgr32.exe program installed without your consent it is likely that your computer is infected with other malicious programs that should be removed immediately.
How was Slmgr32.exe installed?
The Slmgr32.exe PUP is acknowledged to use aggressive and unethical advertisements on various websites that are not allowed to show Google AdSense advertisements due to their prohibited content. Websites that contain streaming videos, torrents, pornography, and live streams often utilize malicious advertising networks in order to generate revenue.
The program also has the possibility to be installed by a third-party downloader or software bundler without user consent or knowledge. If you recently downloaded and installed freeware or free content online the program may have been installed in the background by a third-party program.
Slmgr32.exe removal steps
The Slmgr32.exe removal steps on this page explain how to remove Slmgr32.exe, viruses, malware, and other threats from your computer.
|Step 1: Remove malware with Malwarebytes Anti-malware
|Step 2: Check your computer for malicious trace files with HitmanPro
|Step 3: Clean up and fix system issues with CCleaner
|Step 4: Manually repair browser settings (Optional)
1. Remove malware with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
- Open your browser window and download Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free.
- Open the executable file (mb3-setup.exe or other) to begin installing Malwarebytes.
- Select your language, click Next, then select “I accept the agreement,” click the Next button several times, and then click the Install button to install Malwarebytes. Click Finish once the install process is complete.
- Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button on the Dashboard to begin scanning your computer.
- Click the Quarantine Selected button once the scan is finished.
- If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
2. Check your computer for malicious trace files with HitmanPro
- Open your browser window and download HitmanPro.
- Open the executable file (hitmanpro_x64.exe or hitmanpro_x32.exe) to begin installing HitmanPro.
- Click the Next button, check “I accept the terms of the license agreement,” and click the Next button again.
- On the Setup page select “Yes, create a copy of HitmanPro so I can regularly scan this computer (recommended)” and add your email address to the registration fields to begin the free trial.
- Click Next to begin scanning your computer.
- Once the Scan results are displayed click the Next button and click the Next button again on the Removal results page.
3. Clean up and fix system issues with CCleaner
- Open your browser window and download CCleaner Professional or CCleaner Free.
- Open the executable file (ccsetup.exe or other) to begin installing CCleaner.
- Click the Install button to begin stalling the program.
- Click Run CCleaner to open the program when installation is complete.
- Select the Cleaner tab and click the Analyze button.
- When the Analyze process is complete click the Run Cleaner button to clean all files.
- Next, select the Registry tab and click the Scan for Issues button to scan for issues in your registry.
- When the scan is complete click the Fix selected Issues button and Fix All Selected Issues button to fix the issues.
- Next, select the Tools tab and click Startup. Examine each area, search for suspicious entries, and delete any suspicious startup entries by selecting the entry and clicking the Delete button.
- Next, click Browser Plugins and search each internet browser for unwanted browser add-ons and extensions. Click the extension you want to delete and click the Delete button to remove it.