How to remove Search.securybrowser.com (Virus Removal Guide)
The removal guide on this page describes what search.securybrowser.com is and how to remove viruses, malware, browser hijackers, and other threats.
Search.securybrowser.com is a website that utilizes potentially dangerous browser extensions in order to hijack the current settings of your internet browser. The website employs native browser extensions such as SecuryBrowse Protection to replace the page you see when you open a new tab, open a new browser window, and search the web using the address bar or other search field.
Browser extensions associated with the search.securybrowser.com website can also display notifications and advertisements for various services and websites while you browse the web. The notifications can still appears once the browser window is closed.
In addition to these issues, extension associated with the site can also cause other unwanted symptoms such as
- Pop-up ads, pop-under ads, in-text ads, and banner advertisements
- Sponsored search results and new advertisements that appear when you search the web
- Modified homepage, new tab page, and search engine
- Slow and sluggish computer
- Internet browser crash
- Can bundle with malware, PUPs, adware, spyware, and other threats
A concern with extensions associated with the search.securybrowser.com site is that they typically bundle with and are advertised alongside potentially unwanted programs, malware, and potentially malicious trace files that can remain hidden on your computer system. If you did not install an extension native to the site but find one installed on your computer it is likely that the threat was part of a package alongside other malicious objects that should be eradicated as soon as possible.
Extensions that hijack your browser settings are commonly distributed by free downloadable content including freeware and torrent files. They can also be advertised as something they are not in order to trick victims into installing them and other potentially unwanted programs and malware.
The extensions can be advertised across various websites. They are usually advertised on websites that contain prohibited content such as video streaming websites and pornography websites. These websites will also advertise malware and other threats. The advertisements that promote the extensions may also promote other threats if clicked.
Extensions such as these are often bolstered by third-party download managers for freeware programs. The download managers may offer the threat as a custom install and give the user a chance to accept or decline the offer to install the extension. If the user does not opt out the program will install in the background. The way that the custom installation is presented may also be inadequate and designed to trick the user into installing programs they did not mean to install.
- Step 1: Scan your computer for malware
- Step 2: Manually repair your browser settings
- Step 3: Manually uninstall programs
- Tips: Stay protected against future infections
Step 1: Scan your computer for malware
The best way to remove search.securybrowser.com and other threats from your computer is to scan your computer for malware using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and HitmanPro software. Malwarebytes and HitmanPro will locate and eradicate this threat and other malicious files installed on your machine automatically.
1. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to scan your computer and remove malicious files and potentially unwanted programs.
2. To install the program, click the file you just downloaded. It can usually be located in the Download folder.
3. A window that says “Welcome to the Malwarebytes Setup Wizard” will appear. Click Agree and Install to begin the installation. Once complete, click Finish.
4. Now the Malwarebytes is installed, open the program and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. When the scan is complete click the Quarantine Selected button.
4. If Malwarebytes says “All selected items have been removed successfully. A log file has been saved to the logs folder. Your computer needs to be restarted to complete the removal process. Would you like to restart now?” click the Yes button to restart your computer.
5. Next, Download HitmanPro to perform a second-opinion scan and remove any remaining malicious trace files.
6. Once installed, open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
7. When the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
8. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
9. Click the Reboot button.
Your computer should now be completely free of search.securybrowser.com and other malicious files; However, you can still use the manual repair and uninstall instructions below if your browser settings have not been repaired or if you think an unwanted program is still installed on your machine.
Step 2: Manually repair your browser settings
If your browser settings have been changed use these instructions to manually repair your settings.
- How to change your Google Chrome homepage
- How to change your Google Chrome search engine
- How to remove extensions from Chrome
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox homepage
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Firefox
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer homepage
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Internet Explorer
Step 3: Manually uninstall programs
If you are infected with adware and other unwanted programs you might be able to manually uninstall programs from your computer. Use these instructions to uninstall unwanted programs that may have installed on your machine. If you do not find a program installed on your machine make sure to scan your computer for malware using the instructions above.
Tips: Stay protected against future infections
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they get onto your computer. The 2 programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals in real-time; disallowing threats and hackers from getting onto your machine.
The guidelines listed below are a great way to help you maintain a safe environment and ensure that the files on your computer are intact.
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- Avoid visiting fake “spyware removal” blogs and websites that promote “spyware removal software.” These are usually malicious websites designed to phish your personal information, infect your computer with a rogue program and trick you into paying for rogue “spyware removal software.”
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know