What is Search Protection?
Search Protection (by Spigot, Inc.) is a browser hijacker detected as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) and malware by most security vendors because of certain actions this program performs. Search Protection primarily changes existing browser settings such as homepage, new tab, and default, manged, and provided search engines in order to cause unwanted browser redirects and start-ups to third-party websites.
Search Protection virus (although not technically a computer virus) is a term many users have used to identify this program.
Once installed, Search Protection malware changes internet browser settings, which causes affected browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Internet Explorer to redirect to websites like search.yahoo.com or istart123.com.
Search Protection has also been found to associate with and bundle with additional third-party malware and PUPs. In turn, a computer user may experience pop-up advertisements served from third-party platforms such as RightCoupon, browser redirects when a opening a new browser window or tab to additional search engines, browser redirects when searching the web using the affected browser’s address bar to additional search engines, hijacked homepage settings, and other issues.
- This page contains instructions to remove the Search Protection virus, uninstall additional malware from Microsoft Windows, and remove unwanted browser add-ons and extensions from Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer.
How to remove Search Protection virus
- Option 1: Search Protection Removal Software & Tools – This first option details how to remove Search Protection malware using the free or full versions of Hitman Pro software and/or CCleaner by Piriform.
- Option 2:Manually remove Search Protection – This second option details how to manually uninstall Search Protection and remove unwanted browser attachments
- For Tech Support – Call 1-888-879-0084 and they will kindly assist you with removing this computer infection.
1. Search Protection Removal Software & Tools
Use the instructions below to automatically remove Search Protection and third-party malware, as well as automatically remove unwanted search engines from your installed internet browsers.
Hitman Pro by SurfRight
1. We highly recommend writing down the toll free number below in case you run into any issues or problems while following the instructions. Our techs will kindly assist you with any problems.
if you need help give us a call
2. Install the free or purchase the full version of Hitman Pro software.
3. Once Hitman Pro is installed, open the program and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
4. When the scan is complete, click the Next button again to delete any threats or traces on your system.
5. If you are initially using the free version, to activate it, enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
6. Restart your computer by selecting Reboot.
Your computer should now be clean of threats, tracking cookies, malware, and other unwanted traces.
CCleaner by Piriform
CCleaner can be used to automatically repair internet browser settings, startup up settings, and uninstall the Search Protection hijacker, as well as associated third-party software.
1. Install the free or full version of CCleaner by Piriform.
2. Once installed, open the program and navigate to Cleaner > Windows/Applications and click the Analyze button. Afterwards, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface to clean up unnecessary files.
3. Next, navigate to Tools > Startup and search through each tab starting from windows, internet explorer, etc., all the way to Content Menu, for additional suspicious program entries and click Disable and Delete once anything is found.
4. To automatically uninstall Search Protection (by Spigot) and other unwanted programs using CCleaner, navigate to the Uninstall tab and search for Search Protection, etc. in the list of installed programs. Uninstall the unwanted software as selected by clicking the Run Uninstaller button.
2. Manually Remove Search Protection
Use the instructions below to manually uninstall Search Protection from Microsoft Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.
How to uninstall Search Protection
1. Access Windows Start Menu and navigate to the Control Panel (on Windows 8, right click the bottom left corner to access the Windows 8 Start Menu – You can chose “Program and Features” at the top of the menu as a shortcut).
2. Click Uninstall a program or Add and remove a program.
3. In the list of installed programs search for Search Protection (by Spigot) and other potentially unwanted software. Once the program is located, double click the unwanted program or highlight it in the list and click the Uninstall button. Repeat the same steps for additional software.
How to remove Search Protection add-ons and extensions
Use the instructions below to remove Search Protection add-ons and extensions from Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer. It may be necessary to remove third-party browser attachments.
1. Click on the Customize icon (wrench or 3 bar icon) next to the address bar and navigate to Tools > Extensions.
2. Search for the Search Protection extension and remove it by clicking the trashcan icon next to it.
1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.
2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for the Search Protection add-on and remove it.
Microsoft Internet Explorer
1. Click Tools and select Manage add-ons.
2. On the Toolbars and Extensions tab search for the Search Protection add-on and remove it if located.