Search.funmediatabsearch.com virus is a browser hijacker that replaces your homepage and search engine with Search.funmediatabsearch.com. Once the Search.funmediatabsearch.com virus has taken control of your web browser it will cause your internet searches to redirect to the website. Your browser will also start on the website and new-tabs will open on the website.
The Search.funmediatabsearch.com virus employs various deceptive browser extensions to exchange your browser settings. Browser extensions like FunMediaTab cooperate with the website in order to take control of your browser. The extension will also have permission to read and modify your browser settings and view or make changes to other browser settings, like apps, downloads, extensions, and themes.
Removing the associated browser extension is usually enough to disable compromised browser settings; However, there is a very troublesome factor in regards to the Search.funmediatabsearch.com virus. Potentially unwanted programs and browser add-ons and extensions native to the search engine are usually bolstered by malicious advertising platforms and rogue download managers, that in addition, advertise and will bundle the initial threat with other rogue programs, malware, and malicious files. If your browser settings were changed to this website without your knowledge it is likely that your computer is infected with malware and other threats that are not as simple to remove as this browser hijacker.
How did Search.funmediatabsearch.com virus get on my computer?
Applications used to change your browser settings to Search.funmediatabsearch.com usually arrive on your computer along with free downloadable content, such as freeware and torrent files. Downloading items like this online can result in potentially unwanted programs, adware, and malware infecting the your computer system. Even if a program you manually download and install is well known and trustworthy like Google Chrome, if you download it from a malicious website or by using an untrustworthy download manager it can lead to a computer infection.
Aliases: Search.funmediatabsearch.com virus, Search.funmediatabsearch.com redirect virus
Search.funmediatabsearch.com virus removal guide
1. Download and Install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software to detect and remove malicious files from your computer.
2. Open Malwarebytes and click the Scan Now button – or go to the Scan tab and click the Start Scan button.
3. Once the Malwarebytes scan is complete click the Remove Selected button.
4. To finish the Malwarebytes scan and remove detected threats click the Finish button and restart your computer if promoted to do so.
5. Download and Install HitmanPro by Surfright to perform a second-opinion scan.
6. Open HitmanPro and click Next to start scanning your computer. *If you are using the free version you may chose to create a copy or perform a one-time scan.
7. Once the HitmanPro scan is complete click the Next button.
8. To activate the free version of HitmanPro: enter your email address twice and click the Activate button.
9. Click the Reboot button.
10. Download and Install CCleaner by Piriform to cleanup junk files, repair your registry, and manage settings that may have been changed.
11. Open CCleaner and go to the main Cleaner screen. Click the Analyze button. When the process is complete, click the Run Cleaner button on the bottom right of the program interface.
12. Go to Tools > Startup and search for suspicious entries in each tab starting from Windows all the way to Content Menu. If you find anything suspicious click it and click the Delete button to remove it.
13. Go to the Registry window and click the Scan for Issues button. When the scan is complete click the Fix selected issues… button and click Fix All Selected Issues.
- How to change your Google Chrome homepage
- How to change your Google Chrome search engine
- How to remove extensions from Chrome
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox homepage
- How to change your Mozilla Firefox search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Firefox
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer homepage
- How to change your Microsoft Internet Explorer search engine
- How to remove add-ons from Internet Explorer
The key to staying protected against future infections is to follow common online guidelines and take advantage of reputable Antivirus and Anti-Malware security software with real-time protection.
Real-time security software
Security software like Malwarebytes and Norton Security have real-time features that can block malicious files before they spread across your computer. These programs bundled together can establish a wall between your computer and cyber criminals.
- Backup your computer and personal files to an external drive or online backup service
- Create a restore point on your computer in case you need to restore your computer to a date before infection
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs you are not familiar with
- Avoid downloading and installing apps, browser extensions, and programs from websites you are not familiar with – some websites use their own download manager to bundle additional programs with the initial download
- If you plan to download and install freeware, open source software, or shareware make sure to be alert when you install the object and read all the instructions presented by the download manager
- Avoid torrents and P2P clients
- Do not open email messages from senders you do not know